It's a good day for the Gbody community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
pontiacgp said:
Manufacturing is not going to be brought back here by sending more offshore. We did it to ourselves looking for cheap prices and it's up to us to turn that around. It's not that we can't afford the products make here, we can't afford to keep buying the same cheap crap.

I agree with you again. But when you can't get something done here do you just say oh well? I have tried for years. Some parts like our Stainless t-top kit is built in PA. The t-top trim & most of my aluminum parts N.C. or S.C. I get the same story why is it so much? Because we are use to junk being imported & being dirt cheap.

Sheet metal is a different story. Every day I hear that SS t-top kit is $599! yep American made with quality stainless.
There are other companies making it in low grade mild steel to get the price down. Why because real products in the U.S. cost $. Most do not want to suppport it.

Most people end up doing it twice. They buy cheap stuff rip it out & then put in good stuff.

Parts we are getting built are going to be hi quality. Trust me there are a lot of companies overseas that could do it cheaper. We didn't choose that vendor. Harley Davidson Chrome look cheap?, I never heard any one say that. Dyna corn body's are junk? I like the guy who builds the stainless steel Cosco boxes. His line was yeah that Ipod it is a POS.
BTW he lives in The U.S.

Anything I am saying you disagree with? I'm actually agreeing with you but it is how we have become. Use to everday low prices & no one wants to back off what they charge here to make less $.
When I asked about lowering our stainless products I was told we are at our rock bottom. I could get that built over seas for 25% of the cost but I don't. One day some one will take it overseas.
I'll then be forced to do the same to compete.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
All I'm saying is I don't go with the flow. One example, I bought an MSD HEI coil which I thought was still built in the US but on the way home I turned the package over and it was made in China. I brought it back to the speed shop and bought a Moroso, made in the USA. The Moroso cost me a few extra $$ but that was ok with me. When I got home I got on the computer and sent an email to MSD telling what I did with their part and what I thought of them selling chinese junk. I then sent an email to Moroso thanking them for making the parts in the USA and employing Americans to make their products. There are more people who don't accept the offshore products any longer and one day I hope the manufacturing will be back in these countries and I will do my part in trying to make that happen. We have also lost a race or two thanks to junk chinese parts. We now run a DUI distributor that is made in the USA and we get parts manufactured by machine local machine shops. It is turning around little by little. I hope you keep your manufacturing in the US and you'll be helping the tide to turn since your employees spend their paychecks locally and that employs others..and on and on and on.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Ok, I'm beating the dead horse now. The wheel well for the G-Body Cutlass. I can't find a place where it's listed on line. I can find the quarters, but no wheel wells. I see a lot of MC wells, but no Cutlass.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
oldsofb said:
Ok, I'm beating the dead horse now. The wheel well for the G-Body Cutlass. I can't find a place where it's listed on line. I can find the quarters, but no wheel wells. I see a lot of MC wells, but no Cutlass.

As I know, there is nothing available at this point. THis will all change in the near future. Sorry we cannot help now.

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
oldsofb said:

I should have corrected myself on this. When they make full quarters not patch panels like when they did the SS. Normally the outer housings are built. The olds unit you saw on my site is a patch panel.

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
pontiacgp said:
All I'm saying is I don't go with the flow. One example, I bought an MSD HEI coil which I thought was still built in the US but on the way home I turned the package over and it was made in China. I brought it back to the speed shop and bought a Moroso, made in the USA. The Moroso cost me a few extra $$ but that was ok with me. When I got home I got on the computer and sent an email to MSD telling what I did with their part and what I thought of them selling chinese junk. I then sent an email to Moroso thanking them for making the parts in the USA and employing Americans to make their products. There are more people who don't accept the offshore products any longer and one day I hope the manufacturing will be back in these countries and I will do my part in trying to make that happen. We have also lost a race or two thanks to junk chinese parts. We now run a DUI distributor that is made in the USA and we get parts manufactured by machine local machine shops. It is turning around little by little. I hope you keep your manufacturing in the US and you'll be helping the tide to turn since your employees spend their paychecks locally and that employs others..and on and on and on.

I can see what your saying & I do support the U.S. economy as much as possible. I have been e-mailing a manufacturer in Fl this morning & was on the phone with another in Fl today about 1980 regal front fillers. Speaker grills & also building concert sound 2 outer speaker covers. They build the buckets for the speakers now.
I think your missing a little bit here. If we could find a U.S. manufacturer to build lets say inner wheel well housing for an Olds here. In a quantity of 1000. Why wouldn't we? Only reason being we wouldn't be is if they were $300 a side. It is sort of like that spare tire part you brought up. I can guarantee for $89.00 it isn't built here. Not too many manufacturers in the U.S. would build it 500 or 1000 for the price of $50 each.
As far as me personally I drive a Chevy truck not a toyota. I restore U.S. cars. I want to be able to do what I like here for years to come.. My phone & tv's probablly over seas built. Yours? I would like to give you a chance here & find an american Manufacturer who would build these items here. I will support it 110%. I just don't want to be made out to look like I just decided hey screw the U.S. I'm going over seas. Not the least bit. So I'll put it in your lap & do what I did for years & try & find a U.S. manufacturer who will build these parts here reasonablly priced that the average Gbody guy can purchase & restore his car with.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Brain,

I absolutely agree with you as well. I know of two Canadian MFG that I have a great relationship with but they brake bend their items, we are looking for something in a die stamp.

PONTGP.....You tell me who you know that could make these items die stamped and we will support that vendor, period. more heads are better than one huh? I know you know my email. Just give us a shout :wink:

robert56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2010
Someone mentioned in an earlier post that there were plenty of good dashboards out there for sale, so there was no point in reproducing them at this point. Where? I've been looking for a clean Cutlass dash with no cracks/splits for years with no results. That's the part that would be top on my list of desired repros. And I'm not too cheap to pay for a good one either-this isn't going to devolve into another $150 door shell debate. According to another earlier post, the cutlass is the model that is still most likely to be registered at the DMV, so there's your volume. Anyway, I'm watching this post and GBopyParts.com closely. I'm glad to see any repro support for these awesome cars.

Rob

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
robert56 said:
Someone mentioned in an earlier post that there were plenty of good dashboards out there for sale, so there was no point in reproducing them at this point. Where? I've been looking for a clean Cutlass dash with no cracks/splits for years with no results. That's the part that would be top on my list of desired repros. And I'm not too cheap to pay for a good one either-this isn't going to devolve into another $150 door shell debate. According to another earlier post, the cutlass is the model that is still most likely to be registered at the DMV, so there's your volume. Anyway, I'm watching this post and GBopyParts.com closely. I'm glad to see any repro support for these awesome cars.

Rob

Rob,

I have a dash manufacturer that builds for Classic Industries and Dynacorn as well. They do all the Chevelle dash assemblies. The pics below are at the same MFG when I was in TW this year. We have the cars floating and will be available to take the cutlass dash and have it popped. They are not cheap. I personally would be scared making 1000 of them. I am there with you too about the cracked dashes. My dash is absolutely mint except for one small area at the speaker. I would replace it in a heartbeat, but cannot speak for others. I believe that a little more age and popularity on the cars will allow us to get them made. We have all the parts ready to go, the demand just needs to show up now.

Attachments

• DSCF5201.JPG
    DSCF5201.JPG
    646 KB · Views: 652
  • DSCF5213.JPG
    DSCF5213.JPG
    826 KB · Views: 653
  • DSCF5212.JPG
    DSCF5212.JPG
    843.9 KB · Views: 656

robert56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2010
As long as we're making a list... Here's a few other things I'd be serious about wanting - all Cutlass parts. I'd be so serious about all of these I'd put down a deposit right now.

1) Aluminum trunk lid - even here in N.C. I had to kick over a fair few rocks to find a rust free one and an aluminum one to go with my aluminum hood would be great.
2) OEM style plastic side moldings (body color center with chrome surround - 8 piece kit) - not available anywhere and I've never found any NOS
3) drivers side taillight - I found an NOS one after a year of looking, but paid thru the nose for it. Not sure I could find another.
4) small rectangular Brogham or rocket emblem trunk lock cylinder trim
5) Aluminum radiator core support with correct headlight openings for the '81-'88 cars
6) An OEM style sunroof roof panel complete with glass, moldings, etc. - I'd prefer that to a set of T-tops.
7) woodgrained dash inserts - 4 piece kit with correct woodgrain pattern by year

And here's the long shot - Get together with Hurst and reproduce the Lightning Rods shifter. They showed no interest when I asked if it would ever be repro'd but they sell for big bucks when you can find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor