It's a good day for the Gbody community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Yes, I get it...OEs are outsourcing like everyone else is...but what choice do they really have? We no longer have the resources that this country used to.

I see it every day, at work as a bodyman. VW parts from Norway, Sweden, Argentina, India....GM parts from everywhere, and on and on. Some is because unions or work ethics or greed have run the suppliers out of business, some is because 3rd world countries don't care what they put into their air/water/ground for a buck/peso/rupee/whatever. It's a global economy for sure.

Realistically, how many door shells would sell? Surely not enough to justify the tooling/R&D costs. Common parts like floorpans are much more likely to make the ROI as they fit the whole line.

I know you know all of this, just not sure that everybody understands how business works.

I'll still take a "real" 82/87 Camino fender over the "repro"...I've been there, done that, won't do it again. Even if it means more time spent repairing some damage...at least I know it once actually fit a vehicle, which I cannot say for the aftermarket/repros that I have attempted to install. I am fortunate that I live where these parts can still be found, I know. I do wonder how much longer people will be willing to spend the money/time on "these old cars".

Quality on late model parts? Hardly. Took a new OE taillamp for a 2004 Avalon out of the package yesterday to install it...the lens was seperated around 60% of the lamp. Guess that one will be going home Monday instead of yesterday.

Like I said before, I wish you the best of luck for the guys that are looking for the pieces you're working on.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
there is a reason they are permitted to put the company's trademark on those parts...

http://patentlawip.blogspot.com/2010/03 ... ement.html

and it goes for toys as well...

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f12/ ... off-14641/

Yes I understand that. What I am pointing out is the OEM is making their parts in aftermarket factories all over the world. And I have seen it. As technology gets better the Aftermarket is now the OEMs choice in many cases. Visteon used to be Ford OEM cooling supplier. Now it is VistaPro (Visteon/ProAlliance) which serves the aftermarket and OEM.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I imagine getting GM to sell you a licence for reproductions must have been expensive but it's cheaper than a lawsuit. How difficult was it to get GM to let you manufacture reproductions?

jasonreid

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2011
Rockmart, Georgia
I love seeing those GP discussions but the reality of it is our cars are just not popular enough to warrant that kind of production. Our sh*t will just have to be reproduced at what ever cost will be charged by body shops and junk yards. That's the sad truth of it. :( Now I can recommend that if someone here in the south has enough land I'd say snatch up as many GPs as you can so we have a proper stock of them :idea:

Now for us 2+2 fans, thankfully we have access to the standard GPs for the sheet metal and Lauren Engineering for the conversion kits which can be used for replacing 2+2 specific parts. :D

jasonreid

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2011
Rockmart, Georgia
tobyp said:
We if you want to be exact there are 88,452 Cutlass Supremes registered as of 5 minutes ago in the USA. I wouldnt use the term lazy. I would use the term more convenience. In some cases lazy yes, but in my situation the closest G to take parts from is in Indianapolis. I would much rather get on my computer or pick up the phone and order a fresh new part for me to use. Think about what you said, registered G body Cutlass. Registered means on the ground rolling, or have rolled since going to the DMV for your yearly gift to the state. If the car is rolling will you ask the guy for his grilles or doors? This couldn't be the viable option for obtaining the amount of plentiful parts you explain above could it? What is your opinion of "real" demand parts? I am very interested in your opinion!

Out of curiosity, where would one look up such information?

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
jasonreid said:
tobyp said:
We if you want to be exact there are 88,452 Cutlass Supremes registered as of 5 minutes ago in the USA. I wouldnt use the term lazy. I would use the term more convenience. In some cases lazy yes, but in my situation the closest G to take parts from is in Indianapolis. I would much rather get on my computer or pick up the phone and order a fresh new part for me to use. Think about what you said, registered G body Cutlass. Registered means on the ground rolling, or have rolled since going to the DMV for your yearly gift to the state. If the car is rolling will you ask the guy for his grilles or doors? This couldn't be the viable option for obtaining the amount of plentiful parts you explain above could it? What is your opinion of "real" demand parts? I am very interested in your opinion!

Out of curiosity, where would one look up such information?

My company pays for experian data. FYI there are only 4 Bugatti s in the USA. lol, if I remember correctly.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Toby, as I said previously, is there going to be a repro trunk floor pan manufactured? It would be for the Grand Prix for me, but that should be a fairly generic part that would fit most, if not all G body coupes and sedans, right?

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
clean8485 said:
Toby, as I said previously, is there going to be a repro trunk floor pan manufactured? It would be for the Grand Prix for me, but that should be a fairly generic part that would fit most, if not all G body coupes and sedans, right?

That interior floor pan should be the same. We have plans to get it made as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor