It's a good day for the Gbody community

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What I mean is you don't have a selection that we can order from or even a selection of what you intend to manufacture. I'm looking for parts now for the upgrades I'm doing to my GP. I don't know about others but I'm not prepared to wait to see if a part I need is even going to make it to production. I like to see what my viable options are so I can keep sort of a schedule.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
What I mean is you don't have a selection that we can order from or even a selection of what you intend to manufacture. I'm looking for parts now for the upgrades I'm doing to my GP. I don't know about others but I'm not prepared to wait to see if a part I need is even going to make it to production. I like to see what my viable options are so I can keep sort of a schedule.

I have a listing on the most important items that I intend to manufacturer. After the vehicles land me and the manufacturers, 4 of them will take the items that I wish for them to look into. From that point the tooling ideas will be met about and the cost on what it takes to produce is discussed. I then decide if our commuity can afford.

Preliminary list of "no brainers"

Bumpers
GN hood
T top patch
T top a pillar
T top roof
100% quarter, cutlass and Regal
Grilles cutlass 3 styles
Headlight bezels cutlass
Tail lamps cutlass and regal
Door patch panels
Door skin

Then we can get into the moldings which is another can of worms. The above is the MOST important items.

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
pontiacgp said:
Did you see 2 complete vehicles being loaded? That is what we are working on. That is what can be built. Everything to complete the line for that vehicle. Which is an Oldsmobile & a Buick.

If you need GP parts now the only thing available is what is currently out there now. Which will either be discontinued NOS parts, or used.

I can't speak for others either. But I have cars here that I have had for 13 years. I plan on restoring them when the parts become available. It is just like the 1 piece complete floor pan. I needed one. I now can take a car that sat on a gravel drive way for 15 years & restore it. I purchased it 4 years ago. I now have parts to complete it.I can remove the interior & now replace the complete floor pan. If I wanted it 4 years ago I would of had to remove another floor pan or try & patch with what was out there.

No promises are being made on GP parts. I stated if there was a demand it would be looked in to. if you have 5 people that need quarter panels for a GP I can pretty much guarantee it will only be used available. if 6000 request GP quarter panels it will be taken seriously & moved upon.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I know that there are various floor repair panels available for the passenger compartment, but are there any trunk floor repair panels available? I don't know if there are, and I just haven't found them yet, or if they're just not available. I know that Conrad Lozier sells rear frame rail repair parts, which includes some small trunk repair panels for the area above the frame rails, but what I'm talking about is a proper reproduction trunk floor pan. The left side of the trunk in my GP is rotted out, and if I restore the car, I'd like to get something that matches the original trunk floor pan. Any info is appreciated. Thanks again guys.

Blake B

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2011
KS
there shouldn't be any real shortages cutlass parts, i'm sorry but that is the most popular gbody. we ran a search awhile back with the total number of registered gbody cutlass' in a few different states and they out numbered every other make.

thats kind of disappointing. i was hoping for the real demand parts, not the ones everyone is too lazy to go pull off of the plentiful doner cars out there.

and before the flame starts, i understand this is a business. you have to make money, and you have to make what you feel is going to be in the most demand (having the cutlass in your garage helps your case as well)

also hey, you can't please everyone. as for me, the search continues for a plentiful parts source.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Blake B said:
there shouldn't be any real shortages cutlass parts, i'm sorry but that is the most popular gbody. we ran a search awhile back with the total number of registered gbody cutlass' in a few different states and they out numbered every other make.

thats kind of disappointing. i was hoping for the real demand parts, not the ones everyone is too lazy to go pull off of the plentiful doner cars out there.

and before the flame starts, i understand this is a business. you have to make money, and you have to make what you feel is going to be in the most demand (having the cutlass in your garage helps your case as well)

also hey, you can't please everyone. as for me, the search continues for a plentiful parts source.

We if you want to be exact there are 88,452 Cutlass Supremes registered as of 5 minutes ago in the USA. I wouldnt use the term lazy. I would use the term more convenience. In some cases lazy yes, but in my situation the closest G to take parts from is in Indianapolis. I would much rather get on my computer or pick up the phone and order a fresh new part for me to use. Think about what you said, registered G body Cutlass. Registered means on the ground rolling, or have rolled since going to the DMV for your yearly gift to the state. If the car is rolling will you ask the guy for his grilles or doors? This couldn't be the viable option for obtaining the amount of plentiful parts you explain above could it? What is your opinion of "real" demand parts? I am very interested in your opinion!

Blake B

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2011
KS
I'm glad you responded. There is a ratio of running to not ruining but available cars. At the age of or cars, the more you have running, the more there are not running. the only way you have so many running around is to be able get parts from somewhere.

I'm not gonna argue. I'm glad you've taken the initiative to start reproducing parts for gbodies and your job isn't to keep me or anyone else happy, but to make money. Thanks for helping out or community

Brandon

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2008
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
May I suggest the plastic piece that covers the rear bumper? I have an '88 cutlass and an '85 cutlass... out of the 5 other cutlasses in my area my '88 is the only cutlass with a straight and unwarped back bumper cover.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Peter said:
Ribbedroof said:
Still lots of nice doors in the yards here for pretty much all Gs other than Chevrolets, but nobody wants to pay enough to make it worth the time to pull, package, and ship them.

where are there good doors for g's readily in junk yards, because that is far from the truth

That clear it up for you?

Like I said, plenty here, nobody is willing to pay for them to get there. I recall that about 18 months ago a guy went to the southwest, bought a bunch of G body doors, and brought them to the rust belt. As I recall, nobody wanted them once they were there.

You want to buy "new" offshore sheetmetal for double the price of good used, that's your business...but I can assure you that they will NOT be OEM quality. Not that it can't be done, it's because people are cheap, and the average consumer will not pay the cost for a quality piece by the time the manufacturer, wholesaler, and dealer all have added their markup (profit) into the price.

Toby, best of luck on your venture, and sorry for the hijack.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ribbedroof said:
Peter said:
Ribbedroof said:
Still lots of nice doors in the yards here for pretty much all Gs other than Chevrolets, but nobody wants to pay enough to make it worth the time to pull, package, and ship them.

where are there good doors for g's readily in junk yards, because that is far from the truth

That clear it up for you?

Like I said, plenty here, nobody is willing to pay for them to get there. I recall that about 18 months ago a guy went to the southwest, bought a bunch of G body doors, and brought them to the rust belt. As I recall, nobody wanted them once they were there.

You want to buy "new" offshore sheetmetal for double the price of good used, that's your business...but I can assure you that they will NOT be OEM quality. Not that it can't be done, it's because people are cheap, and the average consumer will not pay the cost for a quality piece by the time the manufacturer, wholesaler, and dealer all have added their markup (profit) into the price.

Toby, best of luck on your venture, and sorry for the hijack.

I love to debate the facts, OEM quality? Probably better than. Parts made in the 80's had their issues as well. That is the reason I floted two vehicles over there to verify fitment. I'd like to share a picture with you about where the OEM had their parts manufactured. I do not plan on doing full doors, we cannot afford them. I can assure a quality die stamped panel to get rid of the rust. Sooner than later all the used parts are going to dry up. As for all the middle guys, they are hurt by the recession. THere will be super large guys like us and the relationships the large importers have those persons. They will buy direct as I would. THere is no more 3-4 step distribution left. They are all drying up faster than the used parts will.

This lable with make you LOL!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF5511.JPG
    DSCF5511.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 712
  • DSCN1923.JPG
    DSCN1923.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 719
  • DSCN1927.JPG
    DSCN1927.JPG
    542.6 KB · Views: 722
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor