Jacks for the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Cruise nights are just around the corner. Wagons 95% ready.
I have a spare on a rally wheel but the one thing I still dont have is a decent jack that will fit under a lowered car. Im thinking a scissor jack will be the only option but anyone have another suggestion ? Not really looking to carry a box with a rolling racing jack.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Go to the scrap yard and find a car with a jack that has a 3/4" hex nut on the end. Great for lifting cars for a tire change. Lightweight, small and easy to use.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mich,
I keep a factory type scissor jack in my car, plus the bumper jack, which I wouldn't ever use. The scissor jack is made to fit the indentations or jacking points on the frame. I can't tell you what type of GM vehicle I took it from, but that's what I would recommend. Even a good aftermarket scissor jack would be useful.
I keep a Walker scissor jack in my other car. They're very well constructed compared to a stamped steel jack.
Btw, what size tire are you using for a spare?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Mich,
I keep a factory type scissor jack in my car, plus the bumper jack, which I wouldn't ever use. The scissor jack is made to fit the indentations or jacking points on the frame. I can't tell you what type of GM vehicle I took it from, but that's what I would recommend. Even a good aftermarket scissor jack would be useful.
I keep a Walker scissor jack in my other car. They're very well constructed compared to a stamped steel jack.
Btw, what size tire are you using for a spare?
Jack, Ive only owned a couple of cars as daily drivers since the late 70s. Since '76 Ive pretty much driven 4x4 pickups. My wife had an 85 Cutlass but shes been driving full size GM SUVs since '88. I dont even know what they had for jacks back then and I certainly dont know now. LMAO
That being said I guess I'll have to hit up the local junkyards this coming week or maybe even tomorrow if its not raining. US Jack makes a pretty decent scissor jack. Very similar to an old blue Craftsman I once owned.
I dont remember getting a jack with the wagon. I think the 81 came with a bumper jack thats probably buried up in the attic of my garage. Have to figure out a juck for that one too. If I find one that works for the wagon I'll probably get the same for the coupe.
Not sure what size I have for the spare. I'll check before the days over and send you an email. I know its on a 15x6 rally wheel.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, Ive only owned a couple of cars as daily drivers since the late 70s. Since '76 Ive pretty much driven 4x4 pickups. My wife had an 85 Cutlass but shes been driving full size GM SUVs since '88. I dont even know what they had for jacks back then and I certainly dont know now. LMAO
That being said I guess I'll have to hit up the local junkyards this coming week or maybe even tomorrow if its not raining. US Jack makes a pretty decent scissor jack. Very similar to an old blue Craftsman I once owned.
I dont remember getting a jack with the wagon. I think the 81 came with a bumper jack thats probably buried up in the attic of my garage. Have to figure out a juck for that one too. If I find one that works for the wagon I'll probably get the same for the coupe.
Not sure what size I have for the spare. I'll check before the days over and send you an email. I know its on a 15x6 rally wheel.
Thanks Mich,
I assume that your spare fits in the well properly? A 6" wide rim is probably about the right size for a spare. I've had this on the backburner for quite some time but haven't had a chance to hit the boneyard.
I'm sure you'll be able to find a suitable scissor jack. Someone should be able to shed some light on what cars came with a suitable scissor jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor