Jeep steering shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

406monte

Apprentice
Jan 24, 2009
Quantico, VA
Monte orlac is right they collapse the same way. If you want real good info on it then go to montecarloss.com and look in the do it yourself section there is a good write up on it. I am going to get one from a Jeep when all this snow melts.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Just make sure the upper joint doesn't have this aluminum end.
0401091303b.jpg

The one you need has a steel end and the word "NACAM" stamped on it.
0401091303a.jpg

I broke off the plastic piece in the middle also and took off the bolts all the way. If it is seized try hammering it out without bending it. Removing the air cleaner box on the jeep gives you some clearance. The steering wheel can be locked with the bolt facing down so you may have to release the lock and turn the wheel....this happened to me. The bolts are 13mm i believe. My steering shaft wasn't collapsing that much so i soaked it with PB blaster and used a rubber mallet and a block of wood to tap it loose. I also had to file a notch on the steering wheel shaft so the bolt goes in smoothly without galling the threads.I used a round file and took very little off. All for about 15 buck including the wrong one.Hope this helps and here is mine installed. :D
0401091302.jpg

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
Sounds like a pretty positive upgrade for cheap. I'm gonna give it a shot too. Gonna have to wait till the snow melts first though!

HP JUNKEY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 21, 2009
Buffalo NY
85GPLef41 said:
Just make sure the upper joint doesn't have this aluminum end.
0401091303b.jpg

The one you need has a steel end and the word "NACAM" stamped on it.
0401091303a.jpg

I broke off the plastic piece in the middle also and took off the bolts all the way. If it is seized try hammering it out without bending it. Removing the air cleaner box on the jeep gives you some clearance. The steering wheel can be locked with the bolt facing down so you may have to release the lock and turn the wheel....this happened to me. The bolts are 13mm i believe. My steering shaft wasn't collapsing that much so i soaked it with PB blaster and used a rubber mallet and a block of wood to tap it loose. I also had to file a notch on the steering wheel shaft so the bolt goes in smoothly without galling the threads.I used a round file and took very little off. All for about 15 buck including the wrong one.Hope this helps and here is mine installed. :D
0401091302.jpg

85GPLef41,,, You quote, NOT to use the one with the "aluminum end" on the upper end. How come, Any drawbacks?
Reason being, I just got one with the aluminum upper end, but did not install yet it because the guy I got it from made the opening completely round, there is no "flat spot" in it and the bolt does not go "through it" like the factory set up. He claims I have to grind a "notch" in the column shaft to prevent it from turning on the shaft. I am a little reluctant on notching my column shaft.
HPJUNKEY

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I bought that shaft first and it simply didn't fit over the steering shaft it was too small of a opening.. I thought of opening it up with a die grinder and a carbide bit. I quickly nixed that idea seeing as its a safety issue. I would think the flat spot would prevent the steering wheel side from spinning inside of the shaft :shock: I wouldn't put all my trust on a bolt, especially if you drive your car alot. The notch i put on mine was very minimal just enough clearance for the bolt to slide in and tighten up the upper clamp. Post some pics of it im interested on what it looks like.

HP JUNKEY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 21, 2009
Buffalo NY
The more I evaluate it I think I am going to proceed with notching the upper shaft, It will be a pretty good notch so the intermediate shaft should not turn, once the bolt is tightened. I am also going to drill a small hole in the upper shaft {the one coming out of the firewall} and put a cotter pin or press pin in it after I secure the Jeep intermediate shaft to it. This will also prevent it from coming detached and a little Lock Tite will help too. I am going to work on it soon and take some pics, I will post them when I am all finished.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I thought about not responding. But I gotta ask this.

Why modify, cut and notch on your steering when you can get one that bolts on in about 15 minutes with no modification? I can't remember who I got mine from but I paid less than $50 and it almost installed itself. The top bolt that goes thru the end of the steering column did need a bit of convincing but again, I had it installed in about 15 minutes, and that included removing the old one.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Yeah, the one I bought for around $50 slides on without a problem. The bolt clears the shaft fine as well.

Remember, you can always spread the upper part of the shaft apart a little to get it to slip over your steering column shaft.

If you torque that bolt down good I really can't see anything coming loose.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
85GPLef41:
-How deep of a notch did you have to make in your steering column shaft for the bolt to pass through easily?

-I'd be interested in seeing a close-up, well-lit picture of the upper end of the correct ("bolt on") Jeep shaft, if you have one, or are willing to take one, that would be awesome. (same view as the one of the shaft with the aluminum end, but of the "NACAM" shaft).

Thanks for any help you can give on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor