Jegs crossmember for El Camino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
I see Jegs offering some affordable G-body crossmembers, but Jegs says they are not for El Camino.

Does anyone know the issue with an El Camino?

I need an affordable dual exhaust x-member

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I can't see why you can't use the Jeg's X-member. If anything, there might be a slight clearance issue between the member and the floor. The problem could be more pronounced if your body mounts are shot.
Why not consider modifying your stock X-member? I guess it also depends on your welding and fabricating ability. I'm currently using a modified stock cross member notched out for dual exhaust. 30+ yrs and still going strong.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Something other than the Cutlass Supreme that a fits all A/G part is listed as a won't fit? The OE cross members that the El Camino uses is the same as the Malibu. And technically they both are Malibus. Even the Monte Carlo uses the same ones. So with this, yes it fits. The guys doing the interchange just arn't car guys, just key pounders.

• Agree

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
you can also go to the jyard, find a mid-90s Crown Vic, pull the x-member (about $20). they are powdercoated and already doublehump.

Reactions: 3 users

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Just did one for a 87 El Camino used the one for the th400. Only had to drill through one hole and perfect fit. Guy explained that there could be 5 different varations of the frames for the gbodys. He explain what needed to make it fit. This was for the 200r trans.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
So you see, there's other creative alternatives out there without breaking the bank, Get creative! ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
you can also go to the jyard, find a mid-90s Crown Vic, pull the x-member (about $20). they are powdercoated and already doublehump.
If I'm not mistaken, it requires that you cut a bit off both ends and re-drill it to fit the G-body frame. I've heard many guys over the years using them successfully,

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
If I'm not mistaken, it requires that you cut a bit off both ends and re-drill it to fit the G-body frame. I've heard many guys over the years using them successfully,
right, because the CV x-member uses 1 big thick bolt and a thick rubber isolator pad around each end of the x-member that the big bolt goes thru

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
right, because the CV x-member uses 1 big thick bolt and a thick rubber isolator pad around each end of the x-member that the big bolt goes thru
I think it's a great, inexpensive alternative for a double hump X-member. They should be easy enough to come by at the junkyard.

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
thanks to all for suggestions. I bought the ElCo with a blown engine, so I've never had it assembled/running. I finally got under the car to look around real good and noticed someone has already taken the BFH approach on the factory crossmember, creating an extra hump on the driver side to clear dual exhausts. If my 3-inch pipes fit, we should be OK. Just have to wait for the 40 degree rain showers to go away so I can crawl around under the vehicle.

Hope to fire up the fresh 454 in a week or so.

Attachments

• install.jpg
    install.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor