Jet performance Carbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2009
Hilton head island, SC / Wilmington, NC
Has anybody ever used one of the Jet performance Quadrajet carbs?

I'm looking at picking up this one for my olds 403

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/jet-3 ... dia/images

I have the original Qjet, i rebuilt it myself and just never got it to run right :| , I've got a small box full of other Qjets but they'd all need totally rebuilt, and half of them are missing parts lol. With this motor i think i'm just starting fresh.

Have you tried to find a local quadrajet guru? They are worth their weight in gold but I won't tell the man you rebuilds mine. He build my quadrajet to mach my engine and my driving habits. If Mark (bonenwagon) was closer I'd let him do my carbs while I raid his beer fridge.

I know enough to tell you to stay away from Holley's remanned quadrajets, they sent me an expensive turd. I must have sent that carb back 4 or 5 times and finally after getting it back in worse shape then it was in I gave up on them "fixing" it and rebuilt a junkyard 800 cfm olds carb. Also the car ran like I put bigger cam and headwork on it when mine went on and it didnt leak fuel or have any majorly wharped parts or some crap paint job on it. Holley cant stick their warranty up their a**. Shows that they lack proper customer service and treat paying customers like sh*t. I wont buy anything from them after that, just goes to show you that a big, major company cant rebuild a carb or even pick a suitable core but yet a person with three years experience rebuilding carburetors can pick a good core, bronze bush the throttle shaft and slap a rebuild kit in it and blow them out of the water with the results.

Sorry for the rant, figured I'd let someone know about "remanned" carbs which is probably what that Jet carb is. I've never bought from them but with how much one is and with what I just told you, why take the chance and throw money down the toilet?

Pay $100 or so and get an 800 CFM Olds quadrajet or better yet find one cheap at the yard and spend $30 on a NAPA rebuild kit and $70 on a bronze bushing kit and do it yourself? I have and the results were great. I spent $300 on the Holley carb and $130 on my 800 cfm carb that ran better, and was self tuned.

The best carb is the one that came on the motor. Even if you increase the performance, you can recalibrate the Q-jet to work with it. Steve you are always welcome to rummage around in my fridge!

Give Dean Oliver of Deano's carbs a shout. Qjets are his thing. He does a very good and thorough job. For example, he rebushes the throttle shafts as part of the deal instead of charging extra for it. He'll also fix the well plugs the correct way instead of just slathering on some epoxy and calling it a day. Very easy going guy to deal with too.

I bought the carb for my 403 from Sean Murphy (he was the head man at Jet at one time). I gave him all my engine, trans, and rear end specs and he built an 800 cfm for my car. I bolted it on and it worked much better than the Summit reman Q-Jet I had been using. If you go for a carb built for your car it may take awhile, I got mine about 4 weeks after I placed my order but it was worth the wait.
http://www.smicarburetor.com/products/sfID1/28/sfID2/9

Minion thanks for the info and heads up, i HATE throwing money away (doesn't everyone?) and a 400$ ding in my budget would really **** things up. I've already talked to cliffshighperformance, i bought my carb kit as well as his book. Yeah they are really good, but there's like a 9 month waiting period for him to rebuild my qjet again.

When i rebuilt mine i made sure the plugs didn't leak, and rebushed the shafts. One of them anyways, one was already rebushed. This Qjet was remanned at some point by some company, not sure which.

Also i'm kicking myself in the *ss for doing some of the work i did to my Qjet. For starters i painted it, never doing that again. It turned out to just be a big mess, I also deleted the choke and restoring it is not an option because i removed the choke housing as well.

As for why mine never ran right, i think either it was mishandled when it was first remmaned, or it was warped which i never checked for BUT i always had to really anchor things down in order for it NOT to leak.

Pontiac there are none around here, that's why i try and rebuild them myself. You know i just recently rebuit one for my mothers 67' Impala SS and it worked out awesome. It still really bugs me that i have all this time and effort into mine with no prevail.

DoubleV, I'll give it a shot. I have lunch around noon today so i can probably call him then. I'll still need to find another Qjet though, I refuse to use the one that i have (which is the original To the 403) because i'm convinced either i did damage that can't be undone or there is some underlining problem i couldn't find that can't be fixed.

Shang, hows the car running now? If the guys good i'll consider going with him.

I am not sure if it makes a difference on the 403 you have but I have my original QJEt from my 307 sitting in my shed. It's up for grabs! 🙂

Adam, I know the feeling. I have played with tons of Q-jets and every now and then I get one that just won't work right. Wether it's something I did, or someone else, or some defect I can't uncover, nothing helps. That then becomes a parts donor. So why not find another carb from a similar motor like a Buick or Pontiac 400 or 455. They should have the same air bleeds and idle restrictions. Then swap in your original 403 jets and rods. It'll probably have a hot air choke so while your at it convert to electric. That should be as good as the 403 carb if not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor