BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Nothing says you can't drop the rear, clean it, paint it, replace the seals, fill it with new fluid (or maybe a posi unit...?), and jam it back in there after painting the underside. And afaik, all the brake parts will swap over to an 8.5 if you go that route. Someone correct if wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
For your purposes Joe, a good used 7.5 might be the way to go. Find one with a 3.42 or 3.73 to compliment the overdrive (if you go that route). If it was out of an SS it would be posi already. If you didn't think it strong enough, you could do the budget upgrade with the late model S10/Camaro carrier and GN axles. This is likely what I would have done if my car hadn't already had an 8.5 in it. Should be fine in a cruiser. Some guys on here have raced them with success, behind an automatic.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It'd be a waste to have a 200r4 without the gears to back it up, and it'd be annoying to drive at more than 55mph with 3.42 (example) gears and them tiny tires. Plus, you can still use your stock crossmember (just cut a chunk out and weld in some flat stock like a g force cross member on the driver's side), or use a y pipe if you still have one, and run the exhaust like normal factory duals. Don't remember if you're using headers, if not, that's how I would (tbh wish I did) do it. You'd have to buy 2 different crossmembers the other way.
Afaik, every 350 buick y pipe was the same dimension, and it exits on the passenger side, so fitment shouldn't be an issue. Nor should finding one be as they were all the same.

Nov 4, 2012
Nothing says you can't drop the rear, clean it, paint it, replace the seals, fill it with new fluid (or maybe a posi unit...?), and jam it back in there after painting the underside. And afaik, all the brake parts will swap over to an 8.5 if you go that route. Someone correct if wrong.

The 7.5 that is currently under my car isn't worth putting any money into. Even the housing is crummy. Its so rusty that even if I had it blasted and powdered it would still look like sh*t. Even if I wanted to go with a 7.5, I wouldn't use the one I have.

For your purposes Joe, a good used 7.5 might be the way to go. Find one with a 3.42 or 3.73 to compliment the overdrive (if you go that route). If it was out of an SS it would be posi already. If you didn't think it strong enough, you could do the budget upgrade with the late model S10/Camaro carrier and GN axles. This is likely what I would have done if my car hadn't already had an 8.5 in it. Should be fine in a cruiser. Some guys on here have raced them with success, behind an automatic.

I know they can be updated and built, Brian (307 Regal) did a really nice job with his. But I don't think I want to pull my 7.5 and replace it with... another 7.5.

I'm not saying I want to have my cake and eat it too. I should be more clear, I don't care so much about spending money, but I want to make sure it is money well spent.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
:wtf: Did you just say "y pipe" in this thread? GTFOH :mrgreen:
:p
The outlet of the manifolds is only 2.25" at most. Maybe you can get a 1/4" out of em with a dremel, then make a 2.5" y pipe (said it again tee hee) and run it out like a factory dual system. you need exhaust either way. You can just use TA downpipes, but as they come the driver's side hangs down lower and will go under the stock crossmember and do duals that way.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
For your purposes Joe, a good used 7.5 might be the way to go. Find one with a 3.42 or 3.73 to compliment the overdrive (if you go that route). If it was out of an SS it would be posi already.
Not all SS cars had posi. The 3 that I've owned were open diff factory. It was an option just like all the other G's.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Not all SS cars had posi. The 3 that I've owned were open diff factory. It was an option just like all the other G's.
At least those had the larger spider gears than the regular 7.5".

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Nov 4, 2012
Forecast for this weekend looks promising. Today was nice too but I got heavily distracted turning my dining room into a makeshift chicken emergency room today so I got nothing done.

I'll probably want to do some yard work tomorrow because we aren't going to have too many nice days left, so I've got to do it while I still can. Then it'll be time to take the deck and the bagger off the Cub and put the plow and chains on. Here's to hoping it makes it through another season of plowing snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor