BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We put a GearVendors in Dad's Galaxie behind the Toploader 4-Speed and the 390. It's bad-*ss but overkill for Joe. We didn't have a good alternative since Dad's drivetrain is old school and he wanted the car to be a stick shift. A built up 200-4R would be less expensive and easier to install.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
We put a GearVendors in Dad's Galaxie behind the Toploader 4-Speed and the 390. It's bad-*ss but overkill for Joe. We didn't have a good alternative since Dad's drivetrain is old school and he wanted the car to be a stick shift. A built up 200-4R would be less expensive and easier to install.

Thoughts?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'd put in a good used 200-4r before that TCI.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would recommend against a mail order transmission. Too many horror stories. Find a desireable (GN,442) core on here and find someone local who knows how to work on a 200-4R.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
Well, it has 1 star reviews.

I managed to miss that. With reviews like that it's obviously a quality unit.

I would recommend against a mail order transmission. Too many horror stories. Find a desireable (GN,442) core on here and find someone local who knows how to work on a 200-4R.

You don't want this car to ever get done, do you? :mrgreen: I kid, I kid, but good transmission shops seem to be in short supply around here, and unless pagrunt might have a lead I don't know too many people I'd feel great about working with.

I don't know, I'm just a little iffy on going to a 4 speed because I can see it snowballing already. 4 speed means my 3 speed column shift indicator won't read correctly, and they never made a 4 speed column shift cluster for a non-turbo car, so then I'll want to go to a floor shift, then I'll need a floor shift cluster, and the column, and the shifter, and I'll need the console brackets and such and so on. I'm not ruling it out, I just need to think about and research it a little more.

Right now I'm feeling a lot of this-

source.gif

And looking at a lot of this-

IMG_20191105_194609648-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20191113_141500810-2137x1603.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
but good transmission shops seem to be in short supply around here, and unless pagrunt might have a lead I don't know too many people I'd feel great about working with.
Transmissions By Lucille. Had them rebuild the 4L60 that was in the old POS '08 Silverado over two years ago & did a great job. They are in Verona. Used to have a lot shops in the area years back but cat back due to the lack of good transmission guys. For the r&r of the trans, road test/direct delivery to my door they charged $1800 & gave it a two year/24K mile warranty.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

You don't want this car to ever get done, do you? :mrgreen: I kid, I kid, but good transmission shops seem to be in short supply around here, and unless pagrunt might have a lead I don't know too many people I'd feel great about working with.

I don't know, I'm just a little iffy on going to a 4 speed because I can see it snowballing already. 4 speed means my 3 speed column shift indicator won't read correctly, and they never made a 4 speed column shift cluster for a non-turbo car, so then I'll want to go to a floor shift, then I'll need a floor shift cluster, and the column, and the shifter, and I'll need the console brackets and such and so on. I'm not ruling it out, I just need to think about and research it a little more.

Right now I'm feeling a lot of this-

View attachment 128394

And looking at a lot of this-

View attachment 128397 View attachment 128395
Just keep swimming!

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Worst case James and I both know builders who can work on a 200-4R. I'd be willing to help you source one down here, get it built and ship it to you.

• Winner
  • Friendly
Reactions: 5 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Keep in mind that many reviews are done by people that don't know what they are doing and might have even had someone else do the install that didn't do it right.
Both reviews claim an oil leak , the first one says the pan leaked and replaces the gasket and it still leaks and the second comes back with an update i am betting installer error on both.
UPDATE, The problem I was having with my transmission leaking wasn't a problem with the trans itself, it wasn't installed right the first time and it just took replaced the grommet and that stopped the leak, I couldn't be happier with the trans so far.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor