BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
How well do Buick manifolds flow, out of curiosity?
basically look like shorty headers. Of all the gm small blocks, it's arguable that they are among the best flowing. On a 10:1 350 buick with an intake, ported stock heads, and comp 268 cam (not a good cam for a sbb, but HotRod's gotta get them sponsor dollars somehow), headers are worth 30hp. And Buick 350 headers on average are $479-$550, unless you find a used set. And those are usually banged up and destroyed.
manifolds.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also, for funzies, here is the TA Aluminum head Spec sheet. It may not seem that impressive, but they are limited in what they could and could not change design wise. Chambers are now heart shaped and closed, instead of open and derpy. Bigger valves (I believe you can spec the standard 2.02/1.6 chevy valves, better than 1.88/1.5 stock), and they come with predrilled holes for chevy rockers. Just mill the rocker shaft stands off. Not that joe will be into this any time soon, but I gots nowhere else to post it that at least one person besides me would care. :p
The stock intakes also weigh 67lbs... TA intake weighs 17lbs.
350 Aluminum Head Spec Sheet.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah the exhaust manifold's are better than Olds. The BBO performance manifolds still give up 30 hp as well vs long tube headers. Man do Buick 350 heads suck on the exhaust side. Heck #8/J with the lip under the exhaust valve and even 4A heads flow only a bit less. My #6 heads with the bowl opened with the stock 1.56" exhaust valves will flow more than the TA heads. Guaranteed my ported set of #6's with the 1.625" W31 exhaust valves will blow it away. Every brand has it's weakness and strengths. Exhaust side and the oiling system both need addressed on the Buick 350. Super light weight, especially with TA intake and compact design are two big pluses.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah the exhaust manifold's are better than Olds. The BBO performance manifolds still give up 30 hp as well vs long tube headers. Man do Buick 350 heads suck on the exhaust side. Heck #8/J with the lip under the exhaust valve and even 4A heads flow only a bit less. My #6 heads with the bowl opened with the stock 1.56" exhaust valves will flow more than the TA heads. Guaranteed my ported set of #6's with the 1.625" W31 exhaust valves will blow it away. Every brand has it's weakness and strengths. Exhaust side and the oiling system both need addressed on the Buick 350. Super light weight, especially with TA intake and compact design are two big pluses.
yep. And the 350's oiling isn't as bad as say... the 455. larger mains, more surface area, etc. But the terrible heads and the marginal oiling system are really the only "weak" points of the whole setup.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
>.>
ik you've been preoccupied with the mower, but anything interesting happen?

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Not so much preoccupied, but I have to switch around on projects to keep from losing interest. I can throw the tractor on the back burner whenever, there is no time constraint with it. I also got kinda carried away cleaning and organizing the garage too, so I was busy with that for a week or so.

Honestly I'm just really, really glad to have the engine home and paid for. I have been Evapo-Rusting and painting the accessory brackets. I have the power steering pump all ready to go as well as the brackets for it. Starter heat shield is painted, as is the water pump pulley. Alternator brackets are Evapo-Rusted, they just need painted. I need to buy a water pump and I've also got to order a fuel pump. That'll probably be my next RockAuto order, plus whatever other odds and ends I can think of. Hopefully sometime soon.

Reactions: 6 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Not so much preoccupied, but I have to switch around on projects to keep from losing interest. I can throw the tractor on the back burner whenever, there is no time constraint with it. I also got kinda carried away cleaning and organizing the garage too, so I was busy with that for a week or so.

Honestly I'm just really, really glad to have the engine home and paid for. I have been Evapo-Rusting and painting the accessory brackets. I have the power steering pump all ready to go as well as the brackets for it. Starter heat shield is painted, as is the water pump pulley. Alternator brackets are Evapo-Rusted, they just need painted. I need to buy a water pump and I've also got to order a fuel pump. That'll probably be my next RockAuto order, plus whatever other odds and ends I can think of. Hopefully sometime soon.
I always get HD waterpumps for an 85 GN. The correct snout length for the v6 brackets. 3 line pump for a 350. Stock fuel line won't reach, but I cut mine up near the carb so I'd have the contours right to snake behind the distributor and what not and I added a pressure regulator (can also add a gauge). I did it mainly because I had to use a spacer for my linkage to clear. Or you could bend yourself up your own line about 2" longer, give or take.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
I've kinda been sleeping on the Regal since I got the engine home a few weeks ago, but I did get something done today. I took 4 of my Delco alternators to the generator rebuild shop I usually use and told them to rebuild the best one. So they did, and I traded the other 3 as cores. Still costs way less than one from the parts store and it's a better alternator plus they are good people and a local business. So now I've got an alternator and a power steering pump.

IMG_20190708_210044057-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20190708_210117846-2137x1603.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Interesting, how many amps? You didn't have a 12 SI core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor