Junkyard run...figures you never find what you want

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
ya know i went to my favorite junkyard haunt Saturday in seach of some cutlass and monte parts ( i need some odds and ends and my buddy needed some stuff for his monte) Needless to say there were 0 Montes to be found and 1 stripped Cutlass.. anyways while i continued my search i noticed there were at least 5-6 complete mid 80s grand prixs there!! figures.. haha!!

So.. ive noticed this place is flooded with G-prix guys.. which is awesome! and i wanted to shout out that im going back there in seach of a filler neck for my brothers truck and anyone who needs any GP stuff LET ME know!! lol there were cars there were barely molested in there!!

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
I would be interested in the frame braces if it has them

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Man, I've been having junkyard trouble too. Last trip, the only G body in the whole place was a Cutlass, interior completely gone. Thing was in painfully good condition, though. Before it was stripped, it was probably in better condition than most of ours when we first got them.

The most painful thing, though, was probably when I pulled the bumper shocks off the Cutlass and dropped the bumper on my toe. :shock:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
On my last "Junkyard Monday" (as I like to call it) I saw two GP's, both with their roofs cut off! I also saw the same Cutlass Brougham that I had stripped of it's fasteners, and a bunch of 4 doors. I still can't find one damn fender trim piece or the three trim clips I need. Tomorrow is Junkyard Monday again though, so maybe I will strike it rich.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
i need to go while im on spring break... gotta scrape up some money...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
2000.malibu.ls said:
i need to go while im on spring break... gotta scrape up some money...

You are welcome to join me on one of my epic expeditions covering 4 u pull it yards and about 100-150 miles. I hit yards in Clearwater, St. Petersburg and Tampa. I live just north of Tarpon Springs. If you want to come along one week, just send me a PM. I could use the company.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
too far away lol.
im at least 4 hours from tampa. plus (in case you forgot lol) you probably dont wanna ride around with a 16 year old lol, im gunna hit up a junk yard in Suwanee this week and my dad found one for me to hit up a hour or two away, but its supposed to be 15 acres full of cars, neatly organized taken care of cars lol

but maybe over the summer, i can talk my dad into going with me and we will hit some of those places up with you, depends on how much more of my car i find is missing lol. hopefully i will be done with factory parts soon and can move onto buying new stuff like wheels, stereo, tint, suspension, (other than factory braces and roll bars ans stuff)

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
On my last trip to the yard I came across what looked to be an incredibly low mileage '87 GP. Don't know how low because the dash was gone, but the car was near mint. I scored all three of the lower frame braces, the two that cross the radiator, and the two under the hood. The car also had the extra pieces behind the rear seat and the double pieces in the rear quarters. Unfortunately both my drills are shot, so I had no way of drilling out the spot welds.

adamscamera025.jpg

The part I thought was really odd about the car is that it had the Metric 200 transmission. I didn't think they still used those in '87.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
That's an interesting find! I wonder if all GP's had the extra bracing in the trunk? I will have to look if I go today. I would like to be able to add those to my car. Time to go put the drill on the charger...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yup, the GP I looked at had the braces in the trunk too. If the car I looked at wasn't covered in broken glass, I would go cut them out and weld em in my car. I did pull the front frame brace from it though, so it wasn't a total loss.

As for my junkyard day, I pulled the brace, the underhood cowl seal, a driver's side door hinge, a brake light switch for a car with cruise control ( I am adding it to mine), a trunk popper switch, the power lead from the fuse box to the switch, the bracket for the switch and the bolt to hold the solenoid to the latch. I should have grabbed the V8 steering box return line fitting, but I guess I will get that next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor