Just dropped the headliner- YUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well I just used the shop vac to scour as much of the old foam of as I could. YUCK! What the hell is that crap? I think the shell is in better shape than I thought but I am exhausted from just cleaning it.
That's a messy job indeed. The old foam backing just wants to stick to everything, including yourself. A shop vac is a helpful tool.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack a friend of mine's Mom has a Cierra and the same thing happened with the headliner. You know what he used to stick it back up? OLD LADY HAIRSPRAY!!! I kid you not. He said it has to be the really cheap lacquer stuff and you make a slit and spray it a little at a time holding it tight with a towel or something. He says it never gets loose again.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack a friend of mine's Mom has a Cierra and the same thing happened with the headliner. You know what he used to stick it back up? OLD LADY HAIRSPRAY!!! I kid you not. He said it has to be the really cheap lacquer stuff and you make a slit and spray it a little at a time holding it tight with a towel or something. He says it never gets loose again.
Mark,
Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll try it on one of the loose pockets on the wagon headliner. It just irks me that the headliner looks good overall except for the few spots where the glue didn't take well. I have noticed on occasion people using thumb tacks to reattach the drooping fabric. It reminds me of the old button tufted upholstery.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Dumb question/observation

A wagon headliner is 2 piece. Isn't the front half the same as a sedan? The only unique wagon part is the 2ft piece that goes over the hatch is what I was under the impression of.

Or at least my 80 century was that way.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

A wagon headliner is 2 piece. Isn't the front half the same as a sedan? The only unique wagon part is the 2ft piece that goes over the hatch is what I was under the impression of.

Jake,
It's not a dumb question at all. However, with the sedan having a shorter roofline the contour changes somewhat. I surmise it would be more curved towards the rear, rather than straight like a wagon liner. I suppose a (4-dr) sedan owner could verify this for us.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
And the wagon headliner shell has two molded end sections that are different from the center section. From end to end it is not flat.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Shame J.C. Whitney isn't J.C. Whitney any more cause they used to have bow headliner kits to replace the foam board. Wish I grabbed one from back in the day.
I wonder what it would take to recreate those. Its literally metal rods and fabric with loops on it. Should be able to come up with

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK

Nope, had the same idea since the sedan I cut up had a perfect board in it. Not even close.

Had it on CL and FB for months for free, finally gave up and cut it up and put it in the dumpster at work.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I see the new foam backed fabric for sale everywhere, even Auto Zonedout. Anyone do their's with new fabric? Any tips? My front clips are OK but the side clips over the doors are shot.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I see the new foam backed fabric for sale everywhere, even Auto Zonedout. Anyone do their's with new fabric? Any tips? My front clips are OK but the side clips over the doors are shot.
Mark,
Joann's Fabric used to be a good source for the foam backed headliner fabric, but I'm not too sure these days. I bought my fabric from a company in Mississippi. They also sell the spray adhesive, sometimes in a combined package deal. Those clips are difficult to find. I remember purchasing them from a GM dealer that still had some NOS clips still available. If someone was willing to 3D print some, that would be awesome. I got to see if I still have an unbroken clip that could be used for that purpose.
I think these were the people I acquired my fabric from. https://www.yourautotrim.com/autbodclot.html

Oh, btw, you're right about the shape and contour of the headliner board. There is also a raised portion of the headliner in the middle going side to side, and a few slight curves over the front portion of the board. I had to look at mine again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor