KBS Motor Coater Advice (Spray vs brush)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
Hello,

I ordered the Pontiac Blue Metallic paint from KBS.

My original plan was to apply this stuff with a brush.
Reason being I don't have a paint gun and wanted to avoid issues of overspray.

With that, the directions advise to spray the 'metallic' colors for best results.

My concern is that I only have a smaller pancake air compressor and no paint sprayer.

1. Understanding I am only spraying a relatively small amount of area (motor only) would my compressor do the job?
Compressor specs: 150 max PSI 6.0 Gallon tank and 2.6 SCFM delivered at 90 PSI pump
Reading the directions 35-45 psi for siphon guns, 25-35 for gravity feed guns.

2. Any advice of cheap paint sprayer that may work?
Harbor freight has so many I don't know where to start
Having said that, it is going to be hard for me to drop $100 on a paint sprayer at the moment unless it is a really good deal and will be the difference between good and great.

Thank you,
CD

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe you could try something like this. I have never used one and there are probably other brands etc to choose from.

• Clever
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Maybe you could try something like this. I have never used one and there are probably other brands etc to choose from.

I've used one of those with good results. But not with metallic paint. Clogging would be my concern. If you do the prep right, it should turn out well.

I bought an engine paint that recommended spraying and brushed it on. It self leveled out and looks good. I would try out the brushing on a small junk piece to see how it goes.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yes you can spray it with a small compressor. Just realize you will have to wait at times for it to catch up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The reason they tell you to spray metalic is that is if you try to paint it with a brush you won't get an even spread of the metal flakes in the paint

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Where abouts are you located, I would be glad to lend you a small compressor and a paint gun so you can get the job done and maybe someone close to you would help you out

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
Where abouts are you located, I would be glad to lend you a small compressor and a paint gun so you can get the job done and maybe someone close to you would help you out

West of Indianapolis
Nice gesture

If my compressor will work, I would buy a paint gun for a reasonable price if it was recommended.
I just don't even know where to start bc there are so many variations/brands with an incredibly wide ranging price point.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
West of Indianapolis
Nice gesture

If my compressor will work, I would buy a paint gun for a reasonable price if it was recommended.
I just don't even know where to start bc there are so many variations/brands with an incredibly wide ranging price point.

check your used classified in your area, you should find a few guns for sale. I found a few high end ones when the industry was changing over to water paint for a real good price. Paint shops take good care of their guns cause it's their bread and butter

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Buy the $10 purple gun from Harbor Fright....many have been surprised by how well it worked for them. And, it's $10

You'll spend more on lacquer thinner to clean it than just throwing it away when you're done.

I see it's $15.00 now, so use this link to get it for $10 http://www.hfqpdb.com/search/62300

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor