keep or delete AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Been there done that....keep at least a defrost mode to clear fogged windshield, just too many times it's needed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Keep the A/C. I went back to having mine redone...no regrets. In fact, I appreciate having it...especially in this climate.
Don't rip it out...it usually looks hacked...just my opinion.

Last edited:
  • Agree

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
I have to agree with everyone else. Leave it and rebuild the system. I removed my A/C system only to put everything back in and enjoy those humid summer days. Nothing better than cruising to your favorite spot in comfort. Added a picture of my 455 with a/c

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-11-13-55-31.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-11-13-55-31.png
    2 MB · Views: 191
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I'd keep it if you don't want to replace it with another system, oldairproducts, vintageair, etc...

Eventually I want to get rid of mine, but it will be replaced at the same time. I definitely want A/C in my car, specifically for the ladies when it's 100 degrees outside.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
thanks guys for all the input and experience, i think i'm convinced on keeping now. any one have thoughts on keeping the HD clutch fan vs electric fans? i was looking at derale fans that claim to flow 4000 CFM.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I prefer the clutch fan for anything but continuous high rpm service.

• Agree

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
thanks guys for all the input and experience, i think i'm convinced on keeping now. any one have thoughts on keeping the HD clutch fan vs electric fans? i was looking at derale fans that claim to flow 4000 CFM.

I've already decided that I was going to go electric fans, but it's mainly for cosmetics. I replaced my fan with a new clutch and that helped keep my engine cooler immediately. I should have changed the coolant temp sensor...but I'm just going to go electric and derale might just be the best aftermarket solution out there from the research I've done.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Oddly a good fan setup I've used on small blocks is 99-05 grand am

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you want electric fans there are plenty of new factory replacement fans for under $100 that will do the job, just find one that covers the core of your radiator as much as possible preferably without being any larger.
I use Intrepid dual fans on a 26" core radiator and they cool my big block just fine.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Good choice- you will be glad you kept it when you are crawling along on the Southern State Parkway in August. I have a Pontiac 301and I used an aluminum replacement radiator from RockAuto along with a new clutch for the fan and a 160° thermostat. I stay at around 200° in brutal traffic with no airflow. Otherwise I sit at 160° at all times with the AC on. But if you can swing an electric fan set up and all that goes with it- that would be the best possible upgrade.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor