Key will not turn to the start position

Status
Not open for further replies.

xminnis

Apprentice
May 19, 2008
Kansas City, Missouri
I dont know what to do, the key will turn to accesory and on but will not move past on to start, its just like stuck. Yes it is in park and i have my foot on the brake i have tried jiggling the steering wheel i have even tried shifting to neutral, tried a spare key, what do i need to do?

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Put in a new ignition cylinder. They're fairly cheap.

IrvJr

Apprentice
Jan 24, 2009
Orlando
GP403 said:
column shift or floor shift?

Same thing i was going to ask. If console shift, put in park and check the collar at the base of the steering column near the dash and rotate it counterclockwise and try again.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Geesie said:
Put in a new ignition cylinder. They're fairly cheap.

They might be cheap, but they are a pain to replace. There are easier and cheaper/free things to check.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Have to tried turning the steering wheel, sometime the lock can be jammed .. and also do you have a tilt steering column?...if you do the rod that actuated the ignition lock may have come apart that the joint.....if it is tilt try the key at different angles of the column

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you ever had any problems with it before?....you could spray some wd-40 into the lock and see if that helps. If you drop the column down you'll see the ignition box and the rod that is driven from your ignition key. If you release that rod try your ignition key and if it doesn't work then you have a problem with your ignition cylinder. If it does you could use a screw driver to move the cylinder in the ignition box on the steering column to start the car. I had a problem once and left the panel under the steering column off and left the ignition box dangling until I found a column to replace it with.....just make sure there are no cops around when you do start it...... :lol:

83LSWagon

Apprentice
Aug 19, 2008
last I checked, those suckers were like $30! Not exactly cheap IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor