Kids these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
Someone else was mentioning something similar to this, but I thought I'd start a topic just for it.

I went to high school in the early- to mid-nineties. Right before my senior year, in September of 1995, I got my first car... a 1978 Buick Skylark.

This is not actually a picture of my car, but is a very close approximation (just make it primer brown rather than primer gray):

28240009fulluu2.jpg

The car was a disaster right from the beginning... it had no front shocks left, thanks to it being used as a snowplow for somewhere around the range of eight years. The oil had never been changed in the Buick 231 V6, which had racked up 168,000 hard-earned miles. The car had never had a tuneup. The rear leaf springs were so worn down that I had to put in load leveler shocks in the back just to keep the *ss end from dragging on the ground.

Despite the problems, I loved that car. I still do. And despite the lack of a V8 or anything, the car got quite a bit of respect around my high school, if simply for the amount of time I spent making it suck less than it might otherwise. And at least it looked muscle-ish.

The rest of the kids around back then were driving similar beasts. I remember a mid-70s Trans Am, a couple of Malibus and one horrifically yellow GTO. A buddy of mine had a '66 Mustang -- you know, from back when Mustangs were actually cool -- and another had an early '70s Bonneville. There was even one guy with a carbon copy of my car... a brown '78 Oldsmobile Omega.

Something happened, then, in the few years between when I went to high school and when my brother went. My brother started his senior year in 2000, five years after I started mine. His first car was a similarly underpowered-but-cool-looking car, a 1984 Cutlass Supreme. And yet... he was ruthlessly mocked by everyone he knew for having such an "old" piece of crap. The rest of the kids -- who were from the same families and the same means as the people I went to school with -- were suddenly driving brand new cars... Mustangs and BMWs and Minis and whatnot.

He did his best to make the most of his car... he put a stereo in it, a huge box in the trunk and tried to make it cool, but in the end he broke down and bought a Cavalier, sending the poor (and fully functional!) Cutlass to the crusher.

What the hell happened to people? Did the perceptions of people change that drastically in such a short period of time? I know that a lot of people like to point out Hollywood and movies like "The Fast and the Furious", but c'mon... even that horrible movie had the decency to show that a Dodge Charger and Chevelle SS were so much better than the crap they were driving otherwise!

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I honestly cant see me drving as my own car anything besides a g-body, it just feels like your driving a car compared to knew stuff imo. but i dont have any story to tell like that.

wolfs1959

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2007
Kansas city MO
AMEN!! I dont understand it myself. The same thing with me and my sister i grad. in 99 and my sister in 03. my sister drove the same car that i did 74 nova not a show car but had nice paint,int.... that same car was respected in my highschool class but she also ended up getting a new one (satern :blam: ) because her girlfriends wouldnt ride with her.

I dont know man i dont get it either. and yes i do think that the general public changed that much in just a few years. dont know what hapened but i wish it hadn't because this mindset is not limited to cars.

Joe

wolfs1959

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2007
Kansas city MO
for some reason your picture didnt come up before i posted that and our first car looked almost identical to that only factory burgendy paint. I dont think ive seen a skylark like that before unless i have and thought it was a nova :?

Joe

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
wolfs1959 said:
for some reason your picture didnt come up before i posted that and our first car looked almost identical to that only factory burgendy paint. I dont think ive seen a skylark like that before unless i have and thought it was a nova :?

Yeah, I have a bit of a time telling them apart occasionally, too. The easiest way I know of is the tail lights, and the grille up front is pointed out on the Skylark whereas it's usually flat on the Nova. Otherwise... there isn't much difference between 'em.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Well girls dont care about cars like us. History pretty much means next to nothing. Things girls look for in cars is, how much did is cost?( so he can blow the rest of his cash on me) Will I look cute in it? Is it a convertable or have t-tops?(Girls love wind in their hair)

Honestly women are the number one reason for wanting to have t-tops on my car. But they are hard to find and to much of a hassle :(

Any way. I never had a cool car in highschool. Infact I only drove my car, an 87 lebaron station wagon, once. And that was on my last day of school for the seinors. My school had tight restrictions on who gets to drive.
Ironically ive had more girls give me complements on my Lebaron than the Regal. It was a unique car.

I didnt get my regal until my second term in college. Did some body work and had it painted. Most of my friends appreciate it. Mainly just because it looks bad *ss, but also for its potential to be fast. And that it was RWD and not a truck.

Most people give me complements or seem indifferent to it. Honestly the only person who said it was a peice of crap was my dad. Who was absoulety against me buying it. Even he changed his mind after I got done with the body work. He still hates it though, a GM pos or "junk" as he liked to call it.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
STLRegal said:
Honestly women are the number one reason for wanting to have t-tops on my car. But they are hard to find and to much of a hassle :(

What is that? The women or the T-tops?

:rofl:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The funny thing for me is, my sister is 16 and really wants to rock a station wagon with a 3rd row seat. She'd take any car but my parent's can't afford the insurance. She actually likes my Cutlass and she lives in a upper middle class neighborhood and goes to school with that sort of kids.

At that age, I drove the uncool 1979 AMC Spirit DL liftback with buckets and a column shift. It had plastic hubcaps and faded paint, no A/C, no radio, etc. It was beat but free so I drove it. At age 15, any car is cool if it is your own I guess. 19 years later, I still have it sitting in my garage-but not with the straight six...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor