Kind of a weird question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
I hear ya there, some people are just plain ignorant when it comes to helping a customer, it's not only in the parts depot. It's that "don't care" attitude, it's sad to say but you have to pick your helper carefully at some places, especially big chain stores.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
I guess I don't have a problem with the chain stores it's the people that work there that get me worked up. When I go in and I know what I'm looking for with the part number and I have the old one in my hand and they treat me like I'm the idiot and ask irrelevant questions or won't warranty something because the part failed and go on about their products being superior that get's me irritated. I went to the advanced auto in my town and asked for a filter and pan gasket for a th350 olds, of course I get the whole rundown, I have the part number here yea go, well what's it in, here's the part number, I need the year, ok I'll play allong, 84 cutlass, engine size 455 big block, what's that? :wtf: , ok it's an engine oldsmobile made, sir there isn't a listing for that engine, no kidding now do you want the part number, are you sure it's not a th400 because my cousins sister's husbands lesbian friend who had this boyfriend said there the best? how many bolt holes does it have sir?, kid brings out a th 400 and asks if I have 13 bolt holes in the pan, Of course I do, now can you bring me the th350, lay it on the counter, well I'll be this one has 13 bolt holes also, now can I buy this one which is the one I needed in the first place but wasted a 1/2 hour of my life I'll never get back!!!

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Oldsmoletick said:
bill said:
Not to throw gas on a fire....but after working in this business for 4 years, I am pretty convinced that more often than not, the person looking to buy parts knows less about what they are working on than the person looking for the part on the computer. If I had a dime for every part that I pulled for a person who returned it later because what I supposedly sold them was wrong, only to find out later they had given me the wrong year, wrong engine, or even the wrong car, well Id be loaded with dimes! Many people think that because they can turn a wrench or install a brake pad, that they are now ASE mechanics, when really they are just part swappers. Sadly, other people trust their opinion and even pay them to work on their cars, only to regret it later.

Bottom line is, there are few qualified mechanics and lots of shade tree part swappers.....and there are few qualified parts counter people...and lots of half wits running the computer. Just try to keep that in mind everytime you enter a parts store.

Agreed, I have been in the parts end for about ten years now, started off in retail (advance auto), now at a chevy dealer, my biggest gripe is that people don't what they have or want. The worst was when someone would come up to the counter and ask for parts for a "350" :blam: . It was by far the most annoying type because they never wanted to give any info other than "they are all the same". I got fed up dealing with these types so my response became "Buick, Olds, Pontiac, or Chrysler?" Then they'd get pissed and ask to speak to someone that knew what they were doing. So I'd direct them to my manager, more often than not, my manager would then ask me questions on what to look up and which years has what :lol: . Parts people ask dumb questions because we are used to dealing with dumb people (when it comes to automotive knowledge), we do it so we can attempt to get said person what they need the first time, because we don't want to deal with them pissed off they got the wrong item.
Nowadays, I simply ask for the VIN, it saves me from sorting through 25-50 pages of things that don't pretain to that vehicle. My computer catalog is like a book, everything on that platform is included, for example, if I look up a tahoe, I have to sort through Silverado 15-3500, Sierra, escalade, yukon, avalanche, and suburban pages. I can filter vehicles out, but catalog accuracy suffers, time wise, having the VIN will take most of the human error out, and limit the dumb questions. On the other end, many parts people do not know how to properly use their catalog, which I encountered the other day, while trying to buy a differential cover gasket :lol: . It happens.......
So if I walk in and ask you for a part for a 06 Y with a S engine, your gonna be the guy that knows what I am talking about ? 8)

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
:rofl: Well I'd probably give you a strange look, an 06 corvette with a 4.2 I6 is a very odd combo :lol: .

**edit** after checking my book against myself lol, could be a Cadillac xlr with an I6, :lol: , still an odd combo :rofl: .

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Oldsmoletick said:
I hear ya there, some people are just plain ignorant when it comes to helping a customer, it's not only in the parts depot. It's that "don't care" attitude, it's sad to say but you have to pick your helper carefully at some places, especially big chain stores.

This may be a result of working shoddy hours for little pay and no benefits and having minimal training....Welcome To Corp. America!

gutless supreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2011
Long Island, NY
Mikes83ss said:
I have an 83 mc ss with the stock 305 from the factory.Ever been to an auto parts store and been asked this question does your car have a 5.0 305 or a 5.7 350(diesel)?Has anyone ever seen a 350 diesel in a monte carlo or heard of one?

Hey not only were there Olds 350 diesels in Monte Carlos (albeit none in Monte Carlo SS-es!!), there were also insanely pathetic 85HP Olds V6 diesels as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure all the G-Bodies could be ordered with them, though they rarely were. I've seen a few 350s, never seen the V6 diesel in the wild (in a G-Bod, at least.. they're more common in the FWD cars) but there is a video of one on YouTube...

[youtube]3xGA60KomxY[/youtube]

...85HP in a 3,400lb+ car (the V6 was as heavy as a gas V8 :shock: ). I can't even imagine how painful that must be to drive.

Even stranger/rarer - in '79 Olds made a 260 V8 diesel, one year only. It was another 85HP wonder but weighed as much as the 350 and could only be ordered in the Cutlass - backed by either an automatic or T50 manual. Standard Catalog says only 267 of them rolled out of the factory with the 5-speed and I can't imagine even ONE still exists on this planet. I've never seen or even heard of one... truly one of the strangest drivetrains GM ever offered, and considering how bad those early diesels reportedly were - probably one of the WORST as well!!

upandaway84

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2011
Michigan
tc1959 said:
Chris Van said:
People that actually know anything about cars and parts that work at parts stores are quite hard to come by in today's times. Depending on what I need, I sometimes cringe just knowing I have to describe something to them or make up my own year and make of car in order for little Johnny behind the counter to be able to look it up with his trusty keyboard.
A part could be hanging on the wall behind them,but if they can't find it in the computer they don't have it. :roll:
I tried to buy a piece of 3/8 fuel line , the girl couldn't find it by make, model,or year. I kept telling her it did not matter, I finally just walked behind the counter and got it my self. I just cringe if i have to go in that Auto Zone and shes there.
That's when you walk out and look for another store. There are some places that I will go out of my way to get to because most people there know their stuff. And avoid the place just up the road.

HarryOlds86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2011
Huntsburg, Ohio
I've been working in dealerships for almost 20 years and GOOD parts people are a rare breed! In the car business, i've found that there are two types of people... the people that are there to collect a paycheck and the people that want to be the best in the business. I've been lucky enough to have a parts girl that I've worked with for almost 12 years that is the best parts person that i've ever seen. You need it, she'll find it every time! And to make things better, her boyfriend is the manager at the local Napa who is the same way. Between the two of them, parts are not an issue for me!
On the flip side, I've been in the local Auto-Zone where I had to go behind the counter to get my own brake lines because the parts guy didn't know what a bubble flare brake line was! I was in another one of their stores where a customer asked the parts guy the difference between a long block and short block engine. The parts guy replied "I think it's just a couple inches, but let me check."!!!! :shock:
if you find a good parts person... Hang onto them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor