L31 Vortec 350 Clearance Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
You may also change that power steering pump bolt out with an allen head, flat head bolt. That may give you enough clearance without having to change your pulley system out.

Also, check and make sure that your motor mounts are in good shape and not collapsed. You can use motor clamshells from a Silverado that will push the motor up a little higher

I run an S-10 drive on my car and it has a similar issue. With truck clamshells, fresh motor mounts, and the factory bolt in the power steering pump, I have about 1/8th to 1/4 inch of clearance.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Seems like there is an S10 power steering pulley that is smaller to make it fit.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would not raise the engine, these engines sit too high as it is. If you can move the engine back that will; help with handling and the front rear weight bias. In circle track they always looked at the distance front he fuel pup the to engine cradle to see if the engine was slid back. Even 1/2" will help

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
I would also take a good close look at the motor mounts. I have a 350 from a 1994 truck in my 83, running an S10 serpentine setup, no clearance issues and this engine was pulled from my 84 EC prior. BTW , the Serpentine setup was originally in the 84, on a mid 70's 400SBC. I sure don't remember it sitting that close to the PS box. Will get pics when I get home Good Luck!

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
Check the diameter of the pulley. I had that issue when I was putting an LQ4 into my Cutlass. Swapped the pulley for one off a FWD Grand AM and problem was solved. Cheap and simple fix.

Reactions: 1 users

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
I've swapped tons of serpentine setups from 92-up trucks with 4.3 to 5.7 engines and also s10 blazers or s10 trucks with 4.3s . never ran into the power steering pulley clearance issues on older sbc's in gbodys. I would say your motor isn't positioned even from side to side or needs to be moved back some or your pulley isnt all the way on the pump shaft or your bracket isn't bolted tight enough to the head or your using the wrong power steering pump. I have the same setup on my elcamino for years no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor