Leaving The Rat Race

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
You're doing it exactly how I did, mostly. I used a skid steer and a mini X to push over most of the trees roots and all, the larger ones were cut, and the stumps dug up. The stumps had to sit for a year though, then I burned them too! I admit it's never ending on the mountain here, but I like fire pits soooo.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Soooo tomorrow I get the mini-x for 2 days. Today we unlocked an achievement: I punched through the property out to that natural clearing where I'll be wheeling the mini-x inside. I think I cut it big enough to squeak a pickup truck through, if not it will be tomorrow. I feel so relieved that that's done as I have essentially achieved my goal today that was the overall goal, to cut out a clearing and attach it to the driveway to be able to get something, anything inside next year. Well I have a jillion stumps to pop before I can truly drive something inside, so that'll be the next 2 days plus I'll be knocking over trees with the mini-x to get a feel for that. I'll likely end up renting the thing for a week next year to get the better price and to just be more efficient. Here's what we have at the moment facing both directions.

PXL_20230731_230731531.jpg
PXL_20230731_230716564.jpg

And all that big lumber I can hopefully move with the mini-x into piles tomorrow as well.

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Can you just burn each stump instead of having to dig it out?

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Was just trying to save you some work if it was possible. You may want to get a price on having them ground out. Might be worth paying and saving your time for other projects... just a thought

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Was just trying to save you some work if it was possible. You may want to get a price on having them ground out. Might be worth paying and saving your time for other projects... just a thought

That's all on the table, today and tomorrow with the mini is all about learning.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I think I'll be able to get the rest of the stumps tomorrow. As for today, I can get a pickup truck inside. :cool:

PXL_20230802_010654481.MP.jpg
PXL_20230802_010724302.MP.jpg

Not bad for just eyeballing it. I was only trying to fit a half ton, not the crew cab dually. All the better. I had to stop short with those small maple stumps I skipped. I got tired of working by the fire. I can get most of those with just the blade on the front tomorrow before we light it up again.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Popped more stumps today and hauled a bunch of bigass logs. The mini-x had zero issues lifting them, but it took an hour and a half to get from point A to point B. Especially with the POS I rented. I'll be driving farther for the next rental and it'll be at the weekly rate. But I digress. As of today, we have met this year's goal of hacking open a clearing and being able to get a truck inside. Next year we can get enough work done to see where precisely the house will fall and that will really tell us what else must go. Before then I intend to have the northern border marked. This has been an absolutely ball sweating, face sweating, *ss busting chain of events but I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Tune in next year to see how far we get.

Hella major props out to my city girl Okinawan wife for her assistance here. She hauled way more than her petite weight in firewood, and boy howdy is she a trooper for pain in her willingness to contribute to stoking that fire.

And the littles seem to love it too. We just can't get here fast enough.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Popped more stumps today and hauled a bunch of bigass logs. The mini-x had zero issues lifting them, but it took an hour and a half to get from point A to point B. Especially with the POS I rented. I'll be driving farther for the next rental and it'll be at the weekly rate. But I digress. As of today, we have met this year's goal of hacking open a clearing and being able to get a truck inside. Next year we can get enough work done to see where precisely the house will fall and that will really tell us what else must go. Before then I intend to have the northern border marked. This has been an absolutely ball sweating, face sweating, *ss busting chain of events but I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Tune in next year to see how far we get.

Hella major props out to my city girl Okinawan wife for her assistance here. She hauled way more than her petite weight in firewood, and boy howdy is she a trooper for pain in her willingness to contribute to stoking that fire.

And the littles seem to love it too. We just can't get here fast enough.
All you really needed to do is get a handful of old Stihl parts and sling them into the tops of random trees you want down, then shoot a pm to joesregalproject with an address and the deal he can keep the goods out of anything he cuts down.

Only risk is you wind up with both your and your neighbors lots clear-cut, but, saves the work...

Joking aside though, good work in a short period of time. I'd drive me nuts needing to wait a whole nother year to get back at it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
It drove me nuts waiting the year I have after buying to put my hands on it. I walked it last October and the landscape looked to favor our desired layout. After this year's clearing that seems to be confirmed. And as long as joesregalproject gets rid of all the brush then your idea sounds like a winner.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor