Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Few thoughts from the old guy. Since your not going to be running deep rear end gears you really don't need overdrive for the street - with the combo your talking about you would turn about 3000 rpm @70mph and it's not a daily diver. That being said you could run a 350 trans - a TH 400 (equivalent to 4l80) - and if your serious about the drag racing a glide. Either would be a cost savings over 4l80 plus the savings of the non lock convertor. You are going to get what you pay for in a converter, I've seen some of the cheapy's w/ over 10% slippage.

I have to say that this is excellent advice. Consider your goal. If you're truly looking to go fast with a medium range cam, i.e. 225-235 duration, 15-25psi of boost, then you're going to need a 3.42 or lower numeric gear ratio at some point. A 3.25-3.42 gear with a 27-28" tire will cruise just fine at 2500-2800, and a medium range cam needs that RPM to drive reasonably. I mentioned previously that I should've went TH400 for both weight and cost but I never would've thought I'd be considering a 3.31 gear with a 28" tire.

GroceryGetter's setup is an easy swap to a taller tire as his trap speeds go up. His 3.25 gear with a 275/60R15 will trap 150 easily and drive pretty decent on the street with a shorter street tire.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Sorry for the short hiatus. I think for the time being I'm going to get a budget converter for the time being. Then start getting most of my 80e stuff. Probably get a decent shifter that I can replace the gate. and use for both the 350 and later the 80e. That will probably be discussed in the shifter thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor