HELP Lets talk trans options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Then you should do the 4L80. It won't help track times because of the insane amount that it weighs, but very durable. Are you aware how heavy one is?

And now you're talking if you're going to turbo it. You're going to be in the inner fender guy club with me if you intend to drive it a bundle with a turbo - turbo, rain puddles and no inner fenders means lots of exhaust leak repair continually.

Is this going to be a DIY build? Costs can skyrocket if you have to pay for everything to be fabricated. Not that there is anything wrong with that if you can afford it and are willing to spend it. But you can save a pile of $$ if you can cut, grind and weld - the turbo build requires a bunch of that.
This sounds like a club I'm headed to be in... Lol.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Its definitely gonna get driven a lot.
I guess I'm just trying to convince myself on speeding all the extra dough on a 4l80. lol
I dabbled with the idea of throwing a plate on it but it getting a turbo for sure unless I find a smoking deal on an LSA blower.
Compare the diameter of the output shafts of the 4L80E and the TH350 and move on. Just my opinion.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Then you should do the 4L80. It won't help track times because of the insane amount that it weighs, but very durable. Are you aware how heavy one is?

And now you're talking if you're going to turbo it. You're going to be in the inner fender guy club with me if you intend to drive it a bundle with a turbo - turbo, rain puddles and no inner fenders means lots of exhaust leak repair continually.

Is this going to be a DIY build? Costs can skyrocket if you have to pay for everything to be fabricated. Not that there is anything wrong with that if you can afford it and are willing to spend it. But you can save a pile of $$ if you can cut, grind and weld - the turbo build requires a bunch of that.
Sorry if it came out as "idk what I'm doing" kind of post.
This isn't my first go around. I've build more engines and trans than I can remember. Built a few turbo kits rebuilt a few "bolt-on" kits as well.
This was more of a venting/ sharing ideas kind of post. Ever since I moved up to NC, I don't get to talk and bounce Ideas off the race buddies anymore. I also want to start being a little more active on the forums and continue my build thread. I did want some feed back from the more seasoned guys on the TH350.
Things just snowball sometimes especially when I try to do the one and done type because I over do it. I know its normal but out of all my builds this is the one I that has sat the most between projects on it. I try to force myself that when I have a set task it has to be a weekend to complete so I can keep enjoying it. Obviously between work, side work, and kids that has gotten a little harder than it used to be. Now that I a garage and a little more useable time I want to get back into pretty steady again.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wasn’t taken that way - no troubles.

My 4L80 is the most expensive part of my build unless I combine electronics and fuel system and motor upgrades. I’ve said it before, but I could’ve been better served with a TH400 and a 3.31 gear. But it’s also very nice to have a OD lockup with a 3.73 and cruise at 75 at 2700rpms.

I know the feeling about wanting to bounce ideas off someone. However it works out, there are a 100 different ways to skin this cat. Everyone has a preference and some of us learn from our mis-steps. I’ve tried following along on a couple of FB groups and that is difficult because of the crowd imo.
FWIW, I like the conversation and like seeing the results.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Few thoughts from the old guy. Since your not going to be running deep rear end gears you really don't need overdrive for the street - with the combo your talking about you would turn about 3000 rpm @70mph and it's not a daily diver. That being said you could run a 350 trans - a TH 400 (equivalent to 4l80) - and if your serious about the drag racing a glide. Either would be a cost savings over 4l80 plus the savings of the non lock convertor. You are going to get what you pay for in a converter, I've seen some of the cheapy's w/ over 10% slippage.

• Agree

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The TH400 has an electric lockdown that could be set up with a switch mounted on the gas pedal like the 1970s GM trucks, or on the carb linkage with a suitable bracket.

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I have a TH400 in my Cutlass (5.3L turbo LS, 3.25 gear Ford 9" rear). My goals are the same as yours; drive to track, race and drive home. I have 275-50-15 drag radials on it and it spins about 3000 rpm at 70 mph. Other than getting cr*ppy mpg on the highway (e70-85), its pleasant to drive!!

edit: fixed tire size from 55 to 50.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor