lifter replacement olds 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I have a funky lifter on the exhaust side on cylinder #4, If I replace the lifters and rockers do I need to do a cam break in sequence again?

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I would think the OG cam would handle it with some break-in lube or oil. VIN 9 is a roller, so no problem?
74-76 motor, 8 heads. someone has been in it, it sounds like it has a small cam no lope really just a bit choppy said to be an RV cam lol, does not smoke that I can tell and has approx 130 psi across all cylinders. Was running so so with the Holley that came on it, so I switched to a know good summit carb and it ran better but still not right. Read the plugs after a few drives to work, they were lean but not glazed over. Pulled the intake, cleaned surfaces and replaced the tray, checked the timing chain back lash (very little). Set timing at 18-20 base. ported the vac advance it ran much better pulls about 15 inches at 900 rpms, still had funky valve train noise on #4. pulled the covers still had stock rocker setup on it yet and 4 was sloppy on both Int and ext, so I install a set of adjustable rollers rockers I had laying around for the other 350 build. The intake on #4 adjusted fine but the exhaust felt mushy at zero lash. turned motor over to build oil pressure up and readjusted exhaust and it felt good, did other cylinders on that bank and checked compression all good but 4 exhaust was mushy again.

I have a new set of lifters in a box so I was going to throw them it, Ill put a dial indicator on it and degree the cam and get an idea of what its got for a cam and check for any flat lobes, should have done it the first time I was in it , oh well...

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If doing them all, do a full break in. I have one funky lifter as well, can hear it. I plan on finding it and replacing. I may be do a sort of break in.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I wonder if it would be possible to find an identical new lifter and replace the internals of the problem one (assuming just normal wear) on the base.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Betting it is the 204/214 Edelbrock Performer cam or clone. My 76 350 had 140 to 142 psi with that cam.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I wonder if it would be possible to find an identical new lifter and replace the internals of the problem one (assuming just normal wear) on the base.
Been there done that, dont suggest it. I reopened the motor to replace all the lifters not much later and re break it in.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Lift at the cam, .280" intake and .295" exhaust. That equals .448/.472 at the valve with the 1.6 to 1 rocker arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor