lifting the rear of my 86 monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
i have a set of heavy duty cargo coils in the rear of my 86.i run tall tires in the rear and always liked the look anyways.when i put the ford 9 inch in the rear i also bought a kit that bolts to the lower spring mount to gain a little additional height.recently i raised the front a bit(i know most of you dont like this)by putting twist in spacers in the front springs.the front came up to where i wanted it too but the back came down a bit to the point where the top 2 or 3 coils laying right on each other.i dont want to run airshocks or bags to get the rear up again.i see jc whitney sells lift springs for this application and they claim 2-3 inches.they also make them for the front or rear.do you think i should give them a try?has anyone ever done this before?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Never have done it, never will. I will refrain from further comment tho...

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
You can go to the auto parts store and they have a spring book that list every cars spring rate, size, uncompressed size and compressed size and load capacity. First look at what your car came with factory then start with like a caprice heavy duty spring or something like that. Maybe even a Avalanche spring depending on how high you want to go. As for the nuckles that you twisted in they are the worst thing you could use. Go and get the spring boosters and some spray silicone, they are the black round things made from rubber. You will be better off with these. Hope this helps.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
i am running the cargo coils and spring cushions for an 3rd gen iroc camaro convertible and it give me the higher psring rate i wanted and also around 2-3 inch lift in the rear. i wanted the lift to clear my rear tires and not worry about hitting a bump a high speed and smashing the mufflers into the ground or the tires into the fender wells

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
i see they also have lift type shocks bt gabriel for the g bodys front and rear.have any of you ever tried any of these?

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
well i've had air shocks on the rear of the monte and didnt like the feeling, i had to keep around 120 lbs of air in them to keep the fenders off the tires back when my suspension was stock and old, then everytime i hot a bump it felt like anything in the trunk was about to go through the trunk lid, very hard ride to get a visible lift with the air shocks. better off getting stock shocks and good springs to lift the rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor