lighting woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
New to forum. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Just purchased 1980 malibu coupe. Got her running decent...but I have no tail lights. When brakes are applied I have brake lights. When headlights are on...no tail lights. Also no turn signal lights at any time. Or flashers. When brakes are applied, both front signal lights light up and both signal indicators on dash light up. Replaced brake light bulbs on rear. Headlights and park lights work. Checked all fuses in fuse block. All good. Help please with any advice or ideas. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
Sound like messed up wiring or grounds, but I'm not sure. I'm sure others know more than me about wiring and will chime in with help.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Have to agree with 406 Monte, there should be a ground in the trunk on the left (Drivers) side by the floor drop off at the quarter panel. I've had the wire come loose of the spade connector and cause the problem you describe. Should attach at the pinch weld with a self tapping screw.

Hope this helps!
Bob S.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
I will check that wire out tomorrow. Thanks. Just puzzles me how when brakes applied they work but not when light switch is on no tail lights. And the front park lights coming on when brakes applied. Darn gremlins

• Creative

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Do you have a multimeter? You'll need to find where your losing voltage to the running brake lights. Test light should work too. But first check all the wires, make sure they're all attached, not chaffed etc..a service manual or Haynes manual will serve you well!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
I have multimeter and test light. Will start checking those wires asap. Checked a couple near the fuse panel...no luck yet! Thanks again

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I will check that wire out tomorrow. Thanks. Just puzzles me how when brakes applied they work but not when light switch is on no tail lights. And the front park lights coming on when brakes applied. Darn gremlins
That definatel sounds like a bad ground. When your ground path is lost, the current looks for another path.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Lets go back to basics first. Make sure you have dual filament bulbs(1157) in the brake/tail light sockets. Make sure your emergency flashers are not in the on position. You could have a bad flasher and the switch on. Do you have rear side marker lights? If you do I would the go to each socket in the rear first and use a wire and ground each bulb as I think you have a bad ground connection to the body or possibly bad sockets which is common. Then do same in front sockets. Turn your emergency flashers on and off a couple times to make sure there is no a faulty connection and feedback. You could also have a bad turn signal flasher. Remember there is one for the turn signal and one for the emergency flashers. I faulty closed flasher will do some funky things. Let me know when that is done and I will move forward.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Thanks for the wiring diagrams. Replaced the bulbs with the 1157's. Changed the emergency flasher out with an old spare one i had. Still no emergency flashing lights or tail lights. Turn signal indicators both light up when pedal mashed. Rear sockets look ok but looks can be deceiving. Will check those with test light. No rear side marker lights. Haven't checked turn signal flasher but will. Also will check grounds in back of car. Thanks for all the suggestions and any more that may come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor