Looking for 3" exhaust kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Also, I think the bit about losing velocity is hooey by the way. They proved it on Engine Masters.

Hot gases flow faster than cool gases. The larger the tube the slower the gases travel which allows the gases to cool down. You should do some research on exhaust systems instead of watching a video.
http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how-to-calculate-muffler-size-pipe-diameter/

565BBChevy doesn't have his headers wrapped just to look good, they are wrapped to keep the exhaust gasses hot so they keep flowing fast.

IMG_1477.jpg

normal_IMG_0329.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
IMG_20170910_213955995_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160528_140304468_HDR.jpg
2" pre turbo keeps velocity high which helps spool the turbo. 4" turbo back keeps back pressure low and flows huge amounts of air, it still costs power even though it's huge.

Reactions: 1 user

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Sure, it helps in those applications, but for what I'm doing I will lose nothing by using 3" vs 2 1/2" due to velocity. This post has gotten off track. I still want to know if anyone has used A body exhaust on a G body and how it fit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I bought the pypes 3" rear exit and cut right before the 45 degree bend going back and clocked it 180 degrees and rewelded, and then moved the former bracket to mount on the frame like the normal rear exit does.
CAM03007_zpsc7r1b6m2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I still want to know if anyone has used A body exhaust on a G body and how it fit.
If you have the skills the best way to get an exhaust to fit the way you want is to make your own and you could use a kit something like this to do it. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-670147/overview/
Once you get to 3" and above you become really limited on car specific exhaust systems and even ones designed for a Gbody don't always fit well, after I made the h-pipe for my car I did mockups first for the tailpipes and then ordered mandrel bends to get the angles I needed.
IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
I bought the pypes 3" rear exit and cut right before the 45 degree bend going back and clocked it 180 degrees and rewelded, and then moved the former bracket to mount on the frame like the normal rear exit does.
CAM03007_zpsc7r1b6m2.jpg
Pypes is frustrating because they sell a side exit 3" kit that is cat back with a y pipe but only offer full duals in Monte SS style. You'd think the tail pipes would be the same but I called and they wouldn't sell it that way.

• Agree

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
If you have the skills the best way to get an exhaust to fit the way you want is to make your own and you could use a kit something like this to do it. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-670147/overview/
Once you get to 3" and above you become really limited on car specific exhaust systems and even ones designed for a Gbody don't always fit well, after I made the h-pipe for my car I did mockups first for the tailpipes and then ordered mandrel bends to get the angles I needed.
View attachment 91182 View attachment 91183

If I don't find anything else I might just use the flowmaster 3" universal kit.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
With your engine size I can under stand you wanting a 3 inch system although 2.5 is sufficient. No - a body won't work w/o mod. You can always get the pypes 3 inch universal XVA14 which I used. Still think it's a waste of money.

IMG_4066.JPG

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Also, I think the bit about losing velocity is hooey by the way. They proved it on Engine Masters.

If that's what you believe that's fine - I changed from Shoenfeld 1.75 TO Shoenfeld 1.75 stepped to 1.875 headers and lost .05 ET. That's computer corrected to the weather and stepped headers were coated. Now that's nothing to feel but never the less a loss.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
You are totally right about the velocity, I should have stated that I was talking about my particular application it wouldn't make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor