OLDS Looks Like I'm Buying a 1978 Cutlass, Boys

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Hi everyone, some of you may not know this but I'm currently getting around via rental car and it's getting quite expensive. I contacted people about a '79 3/4 ton winch truck and an '87 Jimmy but the sellers are unresponsive. I then found a '78 Cutlass that was supposedly owned by an old lady and sat for years. I just looked at it in person- the new owner knows nothing about it. I suspect he got it for free.

"1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass $2,000

Description: Everything is there on the car it just needs to be freshened up hasn't been started in years... has a 305 Chevy engine from the factory... sunroof too...."

I don't need a project and it certainly could be one, and it needs at least a battery to run. I'm considering it as long as it won't die at red lights. I'm fine with working on it but need it to be running and driving immediately as that's my main concern. It's got bad paint and a leaky sunroof that's led to rusted floorpans, but that won't prevent me from getting to and from work. The frame is in good shape and everything looks original, right down to the catalytic converter.

What are your thoughts? I've driven many vehicles that other people wouldn't consider, so my tolerance is pretty high for cars with no heat or A/C, finicky brakes, etc. I'm going to look at the winch truck and see if anyone comes out and talks to me but I'd love to hear your input on the Cutlass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Well, I got a response from the winch truck owners before I left the house and they provided video of the engine running and swear the trans, 4x4, and winch work. The bad part is that in addition to rusty fenders and doors the cab is shot. It's rusted out all the way up to the seat. I have an entire body I could use but didn't plan on that, although I was fine with swapping the front clip and painting the whole thing so I had a cool winch truck. At this point it's little more than a boom/winch on a frame that runs and drives. It would be ok to have sitting around, but not to depend on. I never went to see it in person.

I've thought more about the Olds and I decided I'll just buy it if it runs. Period. Nobody else is responding and this guy is 5 minutes from my house. I've got some parts that would really make it pop, and a '78 Cutty is cool to begin with. I messaged the seller saying I have his $2k if I can drive the car away from his house and he agreed to meet me there tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Screenshot_20231023-203809~2.png received_1469637753829271.jpeg Screenshot_20231023-203826~2.png received_894268795445614.jpeg
Screenshot_20231023-203817~2.png received_1260420631295673.jpeg
received_1482665449220402.jpeg received_334217879200253.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I hate to sound like a Debby Downer, but...

Just mentioning that you have parts to put on it means you're already thinking "project car". :) Mission creep. It's real.

From the looks of it, you need a lot of parts to make that pop. First thing I would do is clean out the interior and STEAM CLEAN those seats if possible. If I had to drive it, sitting in that funk driving it around would be miserable.

Do-able? Sure. Throw enough time, money, and parts at it and it'll be sweet. Dang dude. Even a stock resto will cost some $$.

Steery wheel, dash board, carpet, door panels and seats...darn near the entire interior needs refurbishing right off the bat. Water inside does the fabric no good. I'm sure it smells spring fresh in there. Looks like cat hairs all over the seats? Maybe I'm wrong. But if cats were in there...and they decided to pee in there...your seats are DONE. You'll likely never get that smell out.

What's the deal with that one picture of it on the rollback? Did you already buy it? It obviously doesn't run or it wouldn't be up there, for sure.

More importantly, the drivetrain. Why was it parked? Tossed rod? Bad brakes? Bad transmission? Blown rear end? Original drive train means nothing if it's broken. Brakes are a concern, as well as suspension and wheel bearings, etc. It's all the little things. Even if it does run, fluid/filter changes front to back.

That roof leak didn't help a thing, though. Could have done without that. You will very likely have some strong obstacles getting that sunroof back into shape as to not leak. Ask Rktpwrd

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Oh I absolutely know the interior is shot as far as smells and damage, and that the sunroof and cat did me no favors. I'm aware that it needs a lot to be nice, but I'm concerned with being mobile- roadworthy is fine. That's where the stipulation of it running comes in. I'm sure it needs every gasket, plug, and part due to wear and leakage, but we can leak our way to work for a month while I get Roxanne ('04 Sierra) together. If it takes every stop-leak product, HELP! product, and a dry suit for me to drive it it's STILL better than paying $300 a week to drive a Volkswagen Passat cuz I'll own another G Body. And another '78 at that- My El Camino is a '78, as is Dad's Z-28. The other main contender was a motorcycle, and a G Body with holes in it wins that fight.

As far as the future goes, who knows? I'm looking forward to cleaning up this mess and driving around in a polished turd. I aim to make no major mods, and solemnly promise to only change what's necessary 😉. The goal is to have something I can keep or sell afterwards, unlike the rental car. If I sell it I want a profit, if I keep it i want it nice. Either way it's going to be cool.

The pics of it on the rollback are from when the other guy picked it up. I don't know if it belonged to a family member or friend but this guy knew absolutely nothing about it or the Caprice he was selling. I get the feeling he got both for the cost of the tow, and I'm going to try to start this thing in 3 hours when he gets home. I've bought parked cars before and am well versed in what locks up and rots. I've driven with no brakes, heat, windows, gas tank, tires, etc. so I'm cool with whatever as long as this thing runs. I can start anything and I can stop by killing the ignition. Luckily, I've really been stockpiling parts and fluids over the last 2 years. That's in addition to my usual hoard.

I have many interior parts but will deal with the smell as there's no point swapping it out until the floorplans (BAD) and sunroof are fixed. I have 2 spare engines and transmissions I could put in, but it's an Olds with a factory Chevy 305, numbers matching. I could slap on a Stealth intake, Holley carb, valve covers, headers, and a cam since I have multiples of each but will try to show restraint.

I haven't used my Harbor Freight steam cleaner yet and this looks like a great way to get familiar with it. Also, the '02 Grand Am I was driving for 9 months reeked of cat piss so bad that I would too on even the mildest of days. I see this as an upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Update: ITS HOME!!!

It didn't drive there due to a fuel delivery issue which I suspect is the pump, but it could simply be a blockage in the line. I did verify that it runs, and it runs like champ! This, the condition, and the story was enough to convince me to buy it before someone else did- you guys are gonna love this thing. You couldn't wipe the grin from my face with M.E.K..

I ended up having it towed home because it was raining and I didn't want to fight fuel fittings that were rusted on and would twist the metal lines upon removal while at the seller's house. Changing a fuel pump as 2 people watch impatiently didn't sound fun- I needed to secure the car, let the seller get to his 2nd job, and get home to my tools.... So I borrowed money for a wrecker. Thanks, Dad.

My '78 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham identifies as "Gina" and is parked behind Roxanne. I'll start a new thread tomorrow when I can hopefully clean things up a bit, but you should know this car is a true, legitimate survivor. Right now I have a key that unlocks the trunk but not the doors- perhaps a/some lock cylinders were replaced and that key is missing. I need a few light bulbs but the dome and trunk lights work, and I've got low beams but no highs. The radio is non-op but the wipers squeak as they should. It also needs a heater core- I figured that one out the hard way. Im going back outside to rig up a bottle to feed this baby some gas.

Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Lookin good!!! Nice snag.

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor