OLDS Looks Like I'm Buying a 1978 Cutlass, Boys

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
That rocker noise might be a flat cam. It was a common problem in that era and might be why the car was parked. Standard cleaning and rebuild of the factory Qjet would be my recommendation -- Don't replace it.

Factory gauges is a great bonus. Look at the top of the steering box. I'd it has a big round circle, it's the standard. If it has a square-ish cover held on by 4 bolts, you likely have an F41 car.
I'm concerned about camshaft issues, especially with today's oil (I have additives). I'm really hoping it's just the rocker but we'll know more once I can get it under load or pop the covers off, whichever comes first. I'm absolutely keeping the original Q-Jet, and will look at the steering box and look for a rear sway bar to see if it has the F-41 package. I'm switching to an early 1st shift on weekends and am trying to transition so I just woke up.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Help! Any Rochester gurus here? I can't seem to keep the darn power piston and its rods in place while I get the air horn on. It keeps popping up and preventing me from getting everything flush. How can I keep it down? My book says a screwdriver will push them down- nothing will get this thing unless I hold my tongue just right. I've got it down, taped it in place, slid the top on and removed the tape to discover a solid 1/16" gap. What am I doing wrong? I HAVE to get this running without a bottle TONIGHT.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
IMG_20231025_141509150.jpg

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Got it back together but I've done something wrong- it drinks gas and won't idle. Last night it idled great.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Check to make sure both rods went into the Jets before buttoning up. Also on the plastic block you can cut slight grooves where the float comes up. This way you can set the float a little higher, helps with off idle flat spot.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
On the little plastic collar you are having trouble with... Take a small knife and small scribes around the very top in the potmetal. Gives the plastic something to bite into and will stay down (stuck) enough to get the air horn on and buttoned up.

Also check to make sure pivot for float is going the right way or plastic block won't seat correctly and needle won't close, carb can flood... Load up.

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Just got back home. I had to return the rental and get some supplies on the way back. I understand what you're saying Delta, and believe it could be the rods. But are you talking about the 2 main rods or the little ones on the pump in the picture? That pump is killing me, as it's not exactly like the pics or descriptions in the book- I have no clip to hold it down like they say to.

How should I manage the pump rods into their holes while maneuvering the main rods, moving the choke linkage, etc at the same time? I can't see through the gasket, so how will I know if they've gone into the holes? I figured I got every rod back in place but apparently I didn't. And even then I must be doing the pump part wrong because it's entirely too difficult to get in place, won't stay there, and I doubt painter's tape is supposed to be part of the assembly process (I removed it).

Everything else seems fine as far as floats and things. My plastic collar seems oversized to me. It's the original piece, I don't think I have another, and it slides all over the place. It's such a loose fit that I doubt notching the stem would provide any "bite". I'll take a pic when I separate the carb again. I'm not sure doing delicate work right now is wise though.

I'm going to change the oil/filter and regroup. Thank you very much for the help!

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
The rods in the pic in the bowl by the float. Those are the primary rods. Make sure the rods are in the Jets and push down. Push the plastic collar down into its well. Take a small flat blade screwdriver perpendicular to the edge of the well and tap tip of screwdriver with small hammer to stake the plastic collar into its well.

Rods will move up and down and plastic collar should stay put.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Got it, thanks!!! I went ahead and changed the fuel pump too instead of the oil, and SHES ALIVE! Gina has been running under her own power on her own gas tank with no outside intervention for the last 15 minutes. It was a test of willpower to get there, but that's a story for a new thread.

Thanks again!

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Full gauge complement and the braces from the fenders to the rad cradle are still there in the engine bay?? Total bonus. Them being there is a sign that there has been very little invasion into the engine bay; you may have been the first in quite a while.

I do agree on the rehab therapy suggested for the interior. You can get some serious carpet and upholstery shampoo and a good soft bristle brush and have at 'er. Use a wet/dry vac to sweep up the crud. Those plush seat pillows really trap the crap.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor