Loving this Panel Bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Well as it's getting close to Spring l started to get the shop in order, consist of moving vehicles out/around. I store important to me cars inside for the winter, an as we aren't euxpected to see snow again so l pulled the Camaro out but l need to pull the Escalade out first. So l pull it out, pull the Camaro out an l look over and see rust on the rockers, wasn't there last fall when l parked it, so being me l get a screw driver and start poking, yup there is a pin hole. Fuzz sakes!! An l thought l'd get back working on the Monty.

So l ordered a rocker guard because l knew the hole would only get worse when l really got at it. I had some Panel Bond from a couple years ago l never used because alittle nervous of it. I've always welded everything.

So l cut a 10" piece out to one of the seams on the rocker, don't understand why Cadillac put 4 seams in there Rocker Panel, put when you replace you have to buy a complete rocker. So l thought l'd use the Panel Bond on new rocker. l put on a flange top and one side of Rocker Panel, put a bead of Panel Bond on both flanges and bottom of rocker patch panel, stick it on an clamp, weld in the other side, and wipe away and extra panel bond, if you wipe it level your done. Well l wanted to leave a seam like the original on the one end so that end was just leave the excess Panel Bond. Now it's just work the one end that is welded.

No drilling for spot welds on the bottom of outer rocker to attach to inner rocker, no welding on one side nor the top. Welding all that takes time. Panel bond is proven(3M) to be stronger then rivets an tac or stitch welding. And it is water resistant.

So say you tack weld the bottom of the rocker panel, water can get in but with Panel Bond its a sealed seam that's water resistant. Seems like a solid reason to use.

Yes it's expensive, but so is a welder and Panel Bond is so very much faster, other than cure time, stronger and water resistant. I know GM truck boxes are put together with it. So if it's not a structural seam l think Panel Bond has its place in the DIY

area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Panel bond has it's uses for sure, but it's not for structural repairs

GM pickup boxes are welded, but they do use panel bond to add rigidity.

Mopar (FCA) does a lot of weld-bonding....spot welds through panel bond.

Reactions: 1 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I've used quite a few packs of it here & there. It does have it's place. Newer vehicles that have large sections adhesive bonded are designed for such by having large flanges. It can crack under stress & 400 degrees will undo it for removal.

For a patch panel with a flange, properly done you won't have the backside rust issue. Biggest issue with it & a patch panel or add on item is that it will expand & contract at different rates than steel, which can very quickly ghost shadow. Used in such a way that edge is at a body line or transition angle capable of mostly disguising it will make it less detectable to unnoticeable.

It also helps that now you can get an affordable application gun where years ago the supplier wanted like 100 bucks, so I had a home made version.
Also to mention, last few packs instead of 3m 8115 I used smart brand from finishmaster for about 10or so a pack less, can't tell a quality reduction with it.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I've used quite a few packs of it here & there. It does have it's place. Newer vehicles that have large sections adhesive bonded are designed for such by having large flanges. It can crack under stress & 400 degrees will undo it for removal.

For a patch panel with a flange, properly done you won't have the backside rust issue. Biggest issue with it & a patch panel or add on item is that it will expand & contract at different rates than steel, which can very quickly ghost shadow. Used in such a way that edge is at a body line or transition angle capable of mostly disguising it will make it less detectable to unnoticeable.

It also helps that now you can get an affordable application gun where years ago the supplier wanted like 100 bucks, so I had a home made version.
Also to mention, last few packs instead of 3m 8115 I used smart brand from finishmaster for about 10or so a pack less, can't tell a quality reduction with it.

The stuff l had uses a normal chalking gun but its a 2 part inside the tube an it cost l think around $70CDN about 2 years ago. DSC_0003~2.JPG DSC_0002~2.JPG

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have used it quite a few times even though it is pricey I like how well I can bond aluminum to fiberglass and plastic etc also.

Reactions: 1 user

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I'm 54 years old an l never heard of this stuff until the guy at the body shop store brought it to my attention.

So that's why the post, if people realize its out there and how simple it is to work with, an what it can do and what it can't do from hearing people's views, it just seemed like a good thing to post.

If l had of known about this 10 years ago there may have been less cars going to the scrap yard, because l hate welding for hours on panels. There are alot of u-tube videos from 3M an others of what it can do and what it can't.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Ive used this many time over the years at the semi/heavy equipment bodyshop i worked at. There are different types to watch out for. Slow set gives you a long work time and sets overnight and good for large areas. Fast set had like a 5 minute work time and a 3-4 hour set time, good on smaller areas . Read the labels. Some are rated for universal plastic metal fiberglass. Some are specific only for fiberglass.. you dont want to accidently buy fast set and try and do a large area with it or vise versa. It is very good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor