lowering spindles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Hello I just recently came back from slamfest. Every car/truck there was on bags lol. Now I want to at least lower my Monte. I was thinking a spring kit bit someone told me to do spindles in front. I don't know sh*t about lowering cars . If I go with two inch drop spindles do I have to go with lowering springs too ? What spindles have u all used ? Also what is affected by lowering a car like this ? I got a 1986 Chevy Monte v6 car.

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
Bowiemontecarlo86 said:
Hello I just recently came back from slamfest. Every car/truck there was on bags lol. Now I want to at least lower my Monte. I was thinking a spring kit bit someone told me to do spindles in front. I don't know sh*t about lowering cars . If I go with two inch drop spindles do I have to go with lowering springs too ? What spindles have u all used ? Also what is affected by lowering a car like this ? I got a 1986 Chevy Monte v6 car.
Drop spindles are some real basic stuff. All you are doing is moving the spindle up and that drops the front of the car. You can use the stock springs and it doesnt mess with alignment at all. I have a set of 2 in beltech drop spindles on mine and I love them. Had them on for like 3 or 4 years and no problems. If u have anymore questions pm me.

BuWaGone

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
If you wanna search for a used set, 82'-up S10 truck and 83-97 S10 Blazers also fit. Basically the same front suspension as G-bodies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Bowiemontecarlo86 said:

the effect is just cosmetic, the only benefit is the center of gravity is lowered but the suspension isn't upgraded so it really doesn't help with handling

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Ok how about the rear springs what set should I get. I've heard of guys putting on lowering springs and the car doesn't even look lower. I wanna lower the car 2inches all the way around .

I found some jegs 2inch drop spindles for 179. The beltechs are like 210. Have u guys found them cheaper? Also can I use stock shocks till I can afford performance ones?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for the rear here's what I used...

GM F body upper rear spring isolator - GM part # 10290379 (the isolator has a channel in it for an open end spring and the center is open so it slides over the hump for the oem spring)

user85828_pic94275_1349834477.jpg

Moog 83 Phoenix rear spring - Part Number: 5961 (it's open ended up top and 162 spring rate before cutting)

Bilstein AK seies shock - Part#: BIL-AK1052 (it's 2" shorter than the stock length shock)

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Here's what it could look like with Hotchkis 2 inch drop rear springs:

My front suspension still isn't done. I'm also getting drop spindles at some point for the front, but for now I'm using spacers to bring the rear up.
Now compare that to totally stock:

This is why some guys say the car doesn't get any lower. If someone puts lowering springs on a car with a blown suspension that's already sagging, it won't look like anything changed. Especially if it was as bad as mine and they used an Eibach Pro Kit which I've read only drops the full inch in the front.

With these Hotchkis springs, the rear tire is just beginning to tuck. The drawbacks are that you can't really get under the car anymore and that when you jack the car up, the rear springs come out of the top perches (which I guess is more of an "operating location" than a "perch"). It's because the springs are so short. When you lower the car back down, you have to guide both springs into their correct locations. Pontiacgp's isolator picture reminded me of that last issue.

EDIT: Oh! Yea, that's right, the shock question. Well, as long as your shocks don't bottom out when the suspension compresses then you should be fine for the time being.

Attachments

• gbfr.PNG
    gbfr.PNG
    514.6 KB · Views: 1,300
  • untitled3.PNG
    untitled3.PNG
    175.4 KB · Views: 1,264

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
pontiacgp said:

GM F body upper rear spring isolator - GM part # 10290379 (the isolator has a channel in it for an open end spring and the center is open so it slides over the hump for the oem spring)

Moog 83 Phoenix rear spring - Part Number: 5961 (it's open ended up top and 162 spring rate before cutting)

Bilstein AK seies shock - Part#: BIL-AK1052 (it's 2" shorter than the stock length shock)
I might go with the moog springs if I decide to do springs . I'm thinking about doing a airbag system now . My homie says he could install one cheep just for the rears . But I dunno yet

vonclod

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2012
Delta B.C.
Bowiemontecarlo86 said:
pontiacgp said:

I might go with the moog springs if I decide to do springs . I'm thinking about doing a airbag system now . My homie says he could install one cheep just for the rears . But I dunno yet
im considering the same..i have 2" drop springs in the rear but it still looks stock to me, i did qa1 coilovers in front at the lowest setting and not bad but the rear is too high, i have most of the bits to do rear airbags and put the question out there regarding any issues with handling or w.h.y. but no responders..lol
i think one problem with airbags is if one gets a leak or damaged you could be stranded..i dunno..thinking about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor