LQ4 in '86 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
what exactly is an LQ4? whats it out of?

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
85montemj said:

Sorry, I've been so immersed in this thing I guess I take some things for granted....

The LQ4 is the standard 3rd gen 6 liter truck engine, or Vortec 6000. Mine is from an '06 pickup. Stock output is 300-325 hp and 360-370 lb-ft, depending on application. The mods I've made should put it around 350-375 hp.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
bobcat said:
85montemj said:

Sorry, I've been so immersed in this thing I guess I take some things for granted....

The LQ4 is the standard 3rd gen 6 liter truck engine, or Vortec 6000. Mine is from an '06 pickup. Stock output is 300-325 hp and 360-370 lb-ft, depending on application. The mods I've made should put it around 350-375 hp.

I was gonna ask the same question, but I was afraid of souding dumb :oops:

Anyways love the project bro. Little snags are all part of the process. It's just that the time frame you originally estimated, ends up being a lot longer. Keep this thread updated with your progress!

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ

Attachments

• 140220_001.jpg
    140220_001.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 164

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
i believe he said th350

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Well, I now have the mounts figured out. The engine location is finalized, trans is exactly where it needs to be to reuse the driveshaft, and the headers will fit after all. The power steering pump is close to the steering box, but nothing touches. The hose in the pics is too long, but it shows the general idea.

When I pull the engine again, I have a few holes to drill for the mounts. Some finishing touches to the engine and trans, and I can reinstall it for keeps. That will leave just a few problems to solve (like a throttle cable, etc.), the plumbing and wiring to finish, and then I can finally drive this thing. :D I really can't wait, with the work done to the chassis it should handle much better, and definitely have a lot more power.

101_0230.jpg

101_0231.jpg

101_0236.jpg

101_0238.jpg

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Nice build! Not sure if you got the intake with the engine, but the truck intake, although taller, has more low end torque. The LS1 does look alot nicer though. The LS6 is a nice upgrade but it can get costly. Also, what casting heads are those? If they are the 317, they were on the lower compression engines which means those would be perfect for a boost build.

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. 8)

The intake the engine came with was broken by the gorilla who pulled it, so I needed something. I found this one locally, off a 2000 Camaro for $250 with injectors and throttle body, it filled the need so I grabbed it. I do hope to find an LS6 intake eventually, but this will do to get the car on the road. Yes, the heads are 317s. They've never been off the engine, I hope to find a second set for rebuilding and porting as this thing progresses.

As I mentioned in my first post, there are some scary things being done with third gen engines. The car that inspired this build is a local Fox-body Mustang with a twin-turbo'd LQ4 that makes 800hp to the wheels and ran a 9.51 last year. Granted, he's done some work to the motor, but the bottom end hasn't been apart since GM built it. And THAT is what impresses me more than anything about these engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor