LQ4 in '86 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

j17_mia

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2009
how did u get the th350 to fit behind the lq4?? for what i heard, the th350 doesn't bolt up to the ls/lq motors

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
You heard wrong ;) The LS motor has the same bolt pattern as a traditional SBC, the issue comes into play with flywheel-to-torque converter measurements, you need a spacer or special torque converter for everything to work correctly.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Doober said:
You heard wrong ;) The LS motor has the same bolt pattern as a traditional SBC, the issue comes into play with flywheel-to-torque converter measurements, you need a spacer or special torque converter for everything to work correctly.
Correct. I think the mis-info cames from one the bolt holes aren't used (if it was the bolt would go through the head - I think it is the passenger-side).

But have a question on the trans - did you get another crossmember, move it since the pads are in different locations between the 200-4R and the 350?

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
jae said:
Doober said:
Correct. I think the mis-info cames from one the bolt holes aren't used (if it was the bolt would go through the head - I think it is the passenger-side).

But have a question on the trans - did you get another crossmember, move it since the pads are in different locations between the 200-4R and the 350?

The bolt in question is the one halfway up the passenger side. If drilled, it would go into the water jacket in the block, not the head. If you look at the last pic I posted, you'll see why- the back of the head is flush with the trans mounting surface, not inset like earlier Chevys. If you get the chance to look at a 3rd gen block, you'll see that the machining is simplified over earlier designs. Most surfaces require only one cut, making production easier.

I'm using a junkyard TH200 crossmember for now, I'll either modify it or build another to clear the exhaust.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
I see what you mean now. It should be fine without that 1 bolt, tons of people are bolting older transmissions up to these motors and I've never heard of any issues.
196375d1252599568-ls1-block-853-heads-crankshaft-pistons-block2.jpg

lq9 cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2010
I'm in the engine buying stage of my lq4 swap in my 86 cutlass.lots of good pointers in your build but I'm going carb instead of efi.ima keep my eyes on this build keep up the good work.....

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
A little progress, I installed poly body mounts last weekend. The frame and body were in great shape on all of the mounts except one (right behind the driver's rear wheel) that had some rust enlarging the hole in the frame. Though it's still solid and there's a lot of material left to support the mount, it shows just how prone to rust these frames are. This car is immaculate underneath, and it still rusted a little. ANY dirt trapped in a G-body frame will have caused serious issues by now, especially in a winter climate.

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
pmoore4321 said:
Any updates?
Yup! Sorry I haven't posted much, but I've been busy with work and family. I have been working on the car a little here and there, though nothing really worth a pic yet.

I have the engine and trans out of the car again. The engine is buttoned up and ready to go, trans will get seals, filter, and a drain plug installed before it's done. The Megasquirt EFI harness is mostly done. The car harness has been trimmed of A/C and the 305 crap, and been rerouted to fit the new setup. Shifter is installed.

Most of the parts for the swap are collected and need to be installed. I have to: mount the battery in the trunk and run cables, install the fuel pump and wire it, run fuel lines, etc. An e-bay aluminum rad is on its way.

Long story short, all that's left is a bunch of work to put it all together. I have no outstanding puzzles to solve (that I know of yet :p ), just gotta get my *ss in gear and get it finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor