LQ4 in '86 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Truck manifolds won't work. There is a pretty comprehensive build section on MalibuRacing. Have you checked out LS1tech yet?
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

In the past my dad mentioned swapping a 6.0 into his '03 Sierra when it hit 200,000 miles. He's about 5,000 miles from that mark, so I doubt it'll happen soon, but if he still plans on doing it I'll probably nab his 5.3 unless he decides to put it in his '38 Chevy pickup.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
The price really all depends on what you want. It will be more expensive to go with the factory EFI rather than a carb intake, and spark controller, but the gas mileage is definately a plus. Same with the A/C. You may need to notch the frame to fit the stock truck compressor, if it will even fit down there. Otherwise you will need a Kwik compressor and bracket kit. F-body manifolds work the best on our cars. For the mounts there are lots of choices. You can use the clamshell ones with your factory frame mounts, the setback plate ones to adjust it an inch forward or rearward, depending on what you want in the car, and there are ones like BRP Hotrods sells where it will lift the engine a little higher for better header clearance.

For the oilpan I've been seeing that the more popular one is the LH8, but the CTS-V pan works very nice in G-bodies, probably would be your best bet with a lowered ride height too. I would let you know what I had in mine, but before I could even drop the engine in the car I had to go ahead and pretty much change everything except the rotating assembly :lol:

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Doober said:
Truck manifolds won't work. There is a pretty comprehensive build section on MalibuRacing. Have you checked out LS1tech yet?
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

In the past my dad mentioned swapping a 6.0 into his '03 Sierra when it hit 200,000 miles. He's about 5,000 miles from that mark, so I doubt it'll happen soon, but if he still plans on doing it I'll probably nab his 5.3 unless he decides to put it in his '38 Chevy pickup.

I'll have to check out the link. I never really looked at LS1tech because I had the impression it was primarily geared towards f-bodies.

79loserbluebu said:
The price really all depends on what you want. It will be more expensive to go with the factory EFI rather than a carb intake, and spark controller, but the gas mileage is definately a plus. Same with the A/C. You may need to notch the frame to fit the stock truck compressor, if it will even fit down there. Otherwise you will need a Kwik compressor and bracket kit. F-body manifolds work the best on our cars. For the mounts there are lots of choices. You can use the clamshell ones with your factory frame mounts, the setback plate ones to adjust it an inch forward or rearward, depending on what you want in the car, and there are ones like BRP Hotrods sells where it will lift the engine a little higher for better header clearance.

For the oilpan I've been seeing that the more popular one is the LH8, but the CTS-V pan works very nice in G-bodies, probably would be your best bet with a lowered ride height too. I would let you know what I had in mine, but before I could even drop the engine in the car I had to go ahead and pretty much change everything except the rotating assembly

The fuel injection is one of the reasons I want to go with an LS engine. I'm not looking to build a monster, but something more modern than a 305 with a 2GC carb lol! Maybe an L31 Vortec would be a better option since it's based on a 1st Gen sbc. At least that way it drops in and the accessory drive won't have to be modified.....and 255hp stock is better than 140hp! I'm not sure I have the patience (and immediate funds) to go with an LS right now. I'd like to have this car painted and drivable by spring.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I hear you there. At first I was the same way as you were, debating whether to rebuild the SBC I have that spun a bearing, or upgrade. I was just going to drop the stock longblock in and drive it. Well plans changed once the guy sold me an LS6 intake with rails and injectors for a price I couldn't pass up. And it's just gotten out of hand really :rofl:

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
G-Body_Vet said:
To the OP; how much do you think you have invested into the swap at this point?

Since my car is already equipped with a SBC I had planned on stepping up to a 400. After fixing the 400's short comings (heads, rods) and buying pistons, then having machine work done, I really wonder if its more cost effective going with an LM7?

I was pricing them and found plenty of good ones in the $500-700 range with low mileage. I'm looking at what it would cost just to get it in the car and running correctly without any major upgrades.

On another note, I haven't found too many straight forward threads about this swap. I've heard of people using the Hummer or Corvette oil pans, different motor mount kits, notching or not notching the engine crossmember, hacking the a/c box, modified headers/f-body manifolds/truck manifolds, etc.

Any suggestions on what's the best setup for the price? Car is lowered (so which pan), I want to keep the A/C, don't want to cut the frame, not sure which engine management to use, and keeping manifolds is preferred. It's going to be a street car so the LM7's power is plenty better than my 305's 140hp.

Well, off the top of my head.....

Rust-free Grand Prix- $3500
LQ4, no intake or water pump- $700
LS1 intake, injectors, rails and throttle body- $250
Rock Auto water pump, F-body crank pulley, misc. seals and gaskets- $300
GMPP muscle car pan kit (Hummer pan), Z06 cam, valve springs and retainers-$650
Used TH350 with converter and shifter- $250
Ebay Champion rad with fans- $300
Kwik Performance brackets- $300
Pacesetter headers and home-built exhaust- $600
MSD, Megasquirt, fuel pump, motor mounts, hoses, fittings, etc.-$1000-$1500 (lost track of the little stuff...)

All in all, it has added up to about $4K, more than I had originally counted on. Some savings could be had, I built it with future mods in mind so I spent some money up front that could be cut.

I'm planning on a 5.3/4L60E swap into my Toyota pickup, I want to use the factory ECU and just install it as-is, no mods. I think it can be done for much less this time around. I'm buying a (running) wrecked donor truck for $800, plan on installing a Ford Explorer posi rear-end (bolts in!) with disc brakes for $500 or less, and using it year round as a beater, just better. 8) Of course, there will be other expenses like a rad, driveshaft, etc. but it's still gonna be reasonable...... I hope.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
79loserbluebu said:
And it's just gotten out of hand really :rofl:

That's what I'm afraid of!

This is probably one of my first few G-bodies that I don't have to drive at all.....which means all the time in the world to work on it.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
bobcat said:
All in all, it has added up to about $4K.

That's not as bad as I thought it would've been. I was going to just go with that LM7 5.3, rebuilt 200-R4, and as many factory parts as possible to keep costs down. I have a little time to think about this with the OT and upcoming holiday pay. Thanks for the response.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
There's a lot of F-Body stuff on there, but there is also a lot of stuff for the newer trucks with LS engines, and just about any other car that someone has swapped an LS into... Mustangs, RX7s, 240s, Volvos, etc.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
There's some pretty good reads on LS1tech. Mainly in the Conversions and Hybrids section. But really nothing is going to bolt in with the newer engines in our cars unless you get a part from a company like BRP, Trans-Dapt, etc. But there are lots of great threads on there, especially with older Chevy's and LS engines. Couple of LS swapped G-bodies but I've had a hard time finding a good thread with good pictures of the build.

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
Interesting reading!! Maybe I shouldn't sell the Nordstrom 6.0 drive by wire harness and computerI have, and go this route. I was "scared" of doing the transplant, but from this and other reading doesn't look like it is all that bad -- I just have to make sure I can keep my A/C. I don't think I could live without it :D

Someone do me a favor and buy this new harness from me before I have to use it :roll:

More digging, more reading ..... hmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor