Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Many good points in that thread. Factory forged LT cranks in LS based blocks has some merit.

Have you considered "destroking" a 6.0? IE putting the 4.8 crank into a lq4/9. Retains the stroke/rod ratio you like but has the huge benefit of unshrouding the valves and the heads flow better too.

Post #21 in that thread is particularly interesting.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Many good points in that thread. Factory forged LT cranks in LS based blocks has some merit.

Have you considered "destroking" a 6.0? IE putting the 4.8 crank into a lq4/9. Retains the stroke/rod ratio you like but has the huge benefit of unshrouding the valves and the heads flow better too.

My brother actually built a destroked 6.0/6.2 w/4.8L crank and topped it with LS3 heads - still waiting to hear what it runs. I am not super keen on the spendy side of engine building (specialized parts sourcing and machine work) at this juncture in life - our daughters, Lamborghini and Ferrari, eat up most of our play money and time.

I should be free to do more interesting things once they are married off... in 20 years. LOL.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Not to disagree/offend anyone else but there are "too many" people building turbo LS cars with "proven" combos and their "proven" tunes. There is a lot of time and effort that needs to be put into tuning a forced induction car and creeping up on big horsepower needs a lot of data logging and pouring over the data to keep from trashing another engine. While I appreciate what Denmah/sloppy mechanics has created with his "just get it done" attitude like Hot Rod has espoused, there are too many people popping engines left and right in the name of gittin it done. Best info I can offer is, learn to tune it yourself! I miss the days of data logging a few runs around town on Sat and hashing them out Sun morning over coffee then making a few new runs later that day.

Lambda - learn it and love it. If you ask me what AFR I am running, I'll ask if you enjoy the irritation of shoving a red hot curling iron up your *ss. Different strokes for different folks - and every engine responds differently to Equivalence Ratios. There is no one right answer.

I will also call BS on anyone who says running Speed Density is necessary on large cammed or blown applications. Those tuners are just stupid or lazy. SD-only has its place, but not in basic street builds where a MAF can still be leveraged.

HP Tuners works fine, and there are plenty of OSs to suit the wide variety of applications.

I echo all of this, life was so much easier getting away from AFR.

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Not to disagree/offend anyone else but there are "too many" people building turbo LS cars with "proven" combos and their "proven" tunes. There is a lot of time and effort that needs to be put into tuning a forced induction car and creeping up on big horsepower needs a lot of data logging and pouring over the data to keep from trashing another engine. While I appreciate what Denmah/sloppy mechanics has created with his "just get it done" attitude like Hot Rod has espoused, there are too many people popping engines left and right in the name of gittin it done. Best info I can offer is, learn to tune it yourself! I miss the days of data logging a few runs around town on Sat and hashing them out Sun morning over coffee then making a few new runs later that day.

I echo all of this, life was so much easier getting away from AFR.

I agree. The Hotrod guys have a dyno and an experienced dyno operator. They also have a ton of goodies in the background to throw at a combo to make it work. Far cry from us poor folks who try to make something work with what we have on hand.

• Agree

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1887925-strongest-bottom-end-without-upgrading.html

Interesting discussion, especially about fitting Gen V parts.

Oh, and that bit about verifying your mechanical timing I previously mentioned.

A lot of that makes my head hurt, tons of bro horsepower quotes being thrown around. Post #21 doesn't work, if your're bending rods it's not from "long rods", it's overboosting on stock rods. I see too many people just throw an internet combo together and then look for blame when it come apart when they haven't tuned it all the way. Post #32 seems to start hitting closer for engine building.

Call me old school but these "throw away" engines encourage people to experiment without thinking too much.

• Agree

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I'm an absolute fan of Matt and Sloppy Mechanics. A huge wealth of knowledge and shares with people instead of trying to keep everything a secret. Having said that we all know there is a difference between throwing junk together and building high quality stuff. They are both just means to an end. You can't dispute the results from either method. Whichever way you choose is your decision and you have to live with it. I personally strive to find a happy medium between cubic dollar builds ultra low rent.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
A lot of that makes my head hurt, tons of bro horsepower quotes being thrown around. Post #21 doesn't work, if your're bending rods it's not from "long rods", it's overboosting on stock rods. I see too many people just throw an internet combo together and then look for blame when it come apart when they haven't tuned it all the way. Post #32 seems to start hitting closer for engine building.

Call me old school but these "throw away" engines encourage people to experiment without thinking too much.

What is a "bro horsepower quote"?

Did you read that whole thread? Several of the posters claim to be making 1000+ whp on stock stuff. Maybe they have minor problems but at that far out of the norm even a slight misfire produces catastrophic results. The engines being cheap does tend to make people a little reckless but you also get to see the potential of the platform so there is that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor