LS Motor Swap Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

89Nighthawk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
TEXAS
I'm a FNG and I have a question. Does anybody make a kit to put an LS motor into a G-Body, 85-88 Monte Carlo SS? I cannot find one. If no, does anyone make ANY parts to do this swap?
You can just buy a kit to do this on an F-Body. :D
Thanks!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i seem to recall ATS and a couple others make the motor mount brackets. other than that you just need to wire and plumb

G-BUDDY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2009
THIBADAUX LA.
89Nighthawk said:
I'm a FNG and I have a question. Does anybody make a kit to put an LS motor into a G-Body, 85-88 Monte Carlo SS? I cannot find one. If no, does anyone make ANY parts to do this swap?
You can just buy a kit to do this on an F-Body. :D
Thanks!
Here's all u need right at your finger tips. i plain on doing a ls swap in my 86 cutlass and found a load of sites that can help us out.also go to ls1 tec.com or brpmusclerod.com.lots of good info on those sites. keep me posted on your build and let me know if u have any questions. 8) 8)

CHRIZ28

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 7, 2009
Pocahontas, AR
I never could find a definate "kit", but after reading around and asking people that's already did it, it seems pretty easy. Normal f-body long tubes will work, and the normal double hump transmission crossmember will work too. Lots of different results with motor mounts, some set too high, some too low. Others work well with a certain oil pan, so on, so on. Anyways, not sure how strict the mods are about links, but here's a couple that I found really helpful.

Chris

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversio ... hread.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversio ... y-ls1.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversio ... tched.html

89Nighthawk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
TEXAS
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes. Just in the planning stages now. I gave my 89 Nighthawk to my son, so I decided to build a Monte Carlo SS to replace it.

I put up a photo album of the NIGHTHAWK if y'all are interested in it. Have raced it against a 2010 Camaro SS and a Shelby GT500 and killed them both! I designed the engine using Dyno Sim racing software, the actual engine was almost exactly HP and TQ as predicted. Getting ready to upgrade the transmission and torque converter and while out put on E-Tec 200 heads with ceramic coating, thin head gasket to bump up CR to 10.55:1 and a Stealth Ram intake, may switch out Crane gold 1.5:1 rockers to 1.6:1, haven't decided. That is supposed to bump us to 478 HP with 498 TQ.

The SS will have a 500-600 hp Texas Speed motor in it. TCI Super Streetfighter transmission, Vigilante torque converter, Moser 12 bolt, Baer brakes, lowering kit (nose down by about 1 inch). Haven't decided on rims yet. Have to look at subframe connecters. Spohn suspension and urethane bushings.

Any suggestions appreciated, especially for external mods, I want my car to look like no other SS, like the Nighthawk is unique.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
brp has a definite kit with everything included to get the motor and trans in. speartech can hook you up with the wiring and computer part.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
If you go to MalibuRacing.com there has been several guys who've done the LSx swap. I'm not positive if anyone has used a *kit* but they can answer any/all questions you may have.

They have a section called LSx tech just for this. One in particular is 388bu. Hint: the 388 part doesn't apply any longer :twisted: (no it's not me, either...darn it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor