LS Powered Monte Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Did some more work on the LQ9 today. finished the cam swap finally. Borrowed a puller and pulled the stock single timing chain. Came off real nice with the puller. I installed the new JP billet double roller in its place. Next put on the Melling 10295 hp oil pump. You Must use the supplied spacers with the JP timing chain to move the pump out for clearance. I also had to clearance the inside of the front cover to clear the pump. Installed the front cover with a new front seal and gasket. Best way to align the cover is to leave the bolts finger tight until the balancer and oil pan are install. I had no problem getting the final 140 deg with just a breaker bar when torquing the balancer on. now time to pull the heads for new LS9 head gaskets and a set of 243 or 799 heads... still looking for them :roll: I have a comp camps trunion upgrade and a set of double springs from Brian Tooley racing on order as well. It getting close to ready to put back in the car.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Small update, got my comp cams trunion uprgrade kit for the stock LS rocker arm. Should help strengthen the rockers to handle the higher lift and the double springs.
Also got the tool summit racing sells for pressing the old pivots out and pressing the new trunions in.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Found a set of like new 799 heads off of a 06 silverado with the L33 engine (same as 243 casting used on corvette). They only have 57,000 km on them and are super clean. Went straight to installing the Brian Tooley Racing platinum double valve springs. I Cant beat these springs in quality or price. Made my own tool for installing the springs, works perfect. Beats paying almost $100 for a tool off summit. Should have the new heads on this weekend.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Got the Lq9 buttoned up for the most part. ready to drop it in the Monte when the trans is ready. Installed the new dash and finished the rest of the interior up. Just need a shifter and some gauges/tach. Thinking bout going with the B&M quicksilver. Front tires are mounted and on the car. Went with 205/70R15s. Things are finally coming together :mrgreen:

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
All depends on the cop... Drove a truck for over 5 years with no license plate lights and was pulled over a few times and nothing was ever mentioned. However I didnt end up using those lenses or taillights. might shade the SS tails but not that dark.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Hey ole blu, the blue monte is some clean buddy. I love it man. One of the nicest ones I have ever seen.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Pontiac455 said:
Hey ole blu, the blue monte is some clean buddy. I love it man. One of the nicest ones I have ever seen.

Thanks, man I appreciate it! Once the gray cars done, Old Blue might be getting some improvements under the hood.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Car looks good love the interior. Is the roll cage welded to the frame? I'm not sure about IHRA but NHRA rules are the cage needs to be welded to the frame on a full frame car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor