LS Powered Monte Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Havent done an update in a while, started a new job so I didnt have much time till now to work on the Monte. Started to work on the lq9 to get it ready to go back in the car for spring. Ended up ordering the cts-v pan instead of the h3 pan because the h3 pan did hang too low after I looked at some pictures on the net of g bodys with them on. Don't want to risk smacking the pan on something. I took the pan off to have a look at the bottom end and to confirm It was an lq9. It was very clean being a low miles engine from a theft recovered escalade. Also has the the beafy connecting rods like an lq9 should. I plan on swaping in some arp rod bolts while im in there as well. Next thing on the list is a high pressure oil pump and a double roller timing chain. I am also trying to determine what route I should go for the cam swap... cant decide if I should go with an off the shelf cam from texas speed or a custom grind cam. I do still plan on going carbed.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Texas Speed uses comp cams and can have a custom one cut at no extra charge. It will probably take a little longer to get though.

The engine looks good by the way!

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Thanks. Custom cut might be worth the extra wait since its designed to work with the setup I have. Might have to give them a call soon. Was going to paint the block black but I love chevrolet orange 8)

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
This is an incredible build, and very well detailed... :slowclap: But, then again of course it is... it is Canadian. ;)

If you want to talk about custom cams shoot me a PM or we can go over it here for everyone's benefit. I just spec'd my own Comp cam for our LS-swap, it is torque heavy for a daily driver and looks like this:

Serial # D 2961-13 Spec Card# 24966813
Part # 54-000-11 CAMSHAFT, LS1 CHEVY LS1/GEN III '97-UP
Core C54-11HH CAMSHAFT BLANK, LS1 1997 UP 5.7 CORVETTE
Grind # LS1 13158 /13159 HR113.0
DURATION @ .050 INTAKE 227 ROCKER ARM RATIO
VALVE ADJ INTAKE .000 DURATION @ .050 EXHAUST 230 INTAKE 1.70
VALVE ADJ EXHAUST .000 LOBE LIFT INTAKE .3560 EXHAUST 1.70
VALVE LIFT INTAKE .605 LOBE LIFT EXHAUST .3580
VALVE LIFT EXHAUST .608 LOBE SEPARATION 113.0
DURATION .006 INTAKE C/L 110.0
TAPPET LIFT INTAKE 278 CAM ADVANCE 3
TAPPET LIFT EXHAUST 282 HYDRAULIC Y
VALVE TIMING .050 OVERHEAD CAM N
VALVE OPEN INTAKE 3 JOURNAL DIAMETER STD 2.165
VALVE OPEN EXHAUST 51 RECOMMENDED VALVE SPRINGS
VALVE CLOSED INTAKE 43 DEPARTMENT P
VALVE CLOSED EXHAUST 1- SPC INSTR FOR CUSTOMER
SERIAL # ONLY ON CAM

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Started a my cam swap on the Lq9 today. still wait in on my jp double roller timing chain to get here so I can button up everything. I decided to go with the texas speed tsunami cam since ive seen it work for guys with carbed setups. Specs are 235/240 and intake lift .648 intake, .609 exhaust with a 111 lobe separation. still looking for a decent set of 243/799 heads to bring my compression up to 11:1. Also picked up my trickflow 25% under drive balancer. They say they can gain up to 10hp at the flywheel, also sfi approved. More pics to come!

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
What are your plans for exhaust, I've got some LS3 Camaro manifolds for sale.

Ive got f-body pacesetter long tubes modified already for the car. You can see how I cut and bent them earlier in this build thread. Thanks anyway im sure somebody needs a set of them.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
The timing chain and gears ended up being a real pain in the butt for me - it was the crank sprocket that did NOT want to come off.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
LS1GN said:
The timing chain and gears ended up being a real pain in the butt for me - it was the crank sprocket that did NOT want to come off.

Yeah there doesnt look like theres much to hook onto with a puller. The balancer was also a bit of a pain in the stones to get off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor