Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
OldBlue82 said:
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
What are your plans for exhaust, I've got some LS3 Camaro manifolds for sale.

Ive got f-body pacesetter long tubes modified already for the car. You can see how I cut and bent them earlier in this build thread. Thanks anyway im sure somebody needs a set of them.

I hope somebody needs them lol. Yeah I looked back in the thread, nice work!

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
OldBlue82 said:
Yeah there doesnt look like theres much to hook onto with a puller. The balancer was also a bit of a pain in the stones to get off.

The balancer wasn't as bad as that timing gear, but the balancer was on tighttttttt. I had a three foot pipe on a half inch drive breaker bar and I thought it would snap at any moment.

If you don't mind, let me give you some advice. MAKE SURE you have the O ring correct on the oil pump. I made that bad mistake and it cost me.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
LS1GN said:
OldBlue82 said:
Yeah there doesnt look like theres much to hook onto with a puller. The balancer was also a bit of a pain in the stones to get off.

The balancer wasn't as bad as that timing gear, but the balancer was on tighttttttt. I had a three foot pipe on a half inch drive breaker bar and I thought it would snap at any moment.

If you don't mind, let me give you some advice. MAKE SURE you have the O ring correct on the oil pump. I made that bad mistake and it cost me.

I had to brace my engine stand cause it was flexing more than I liked when i put the 3 ft bar on the balancer bolt. Pulling the balancer was easy with a good 3-jaw puller. I purchased a CTS-v pan kit and it has a new blue o-ring on the pick-up already, but I also got a green and a black o-ring with the new melling 10295 oil pump. Im thinking the blue and the green o-rings are the same but ill have to double check.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
The O ring easily gets sliced when you mount the pickup tube to the bottom of the pump. I read this a few times and thought I had it under control. When I went to fire my motor I had no oil pressure. So I had to pull the motor back out of the car and pull the oil pickup tube off (after spending two days trying to do it still in the car). I ended up about two weeks behind schedule because of the stupid ten cent O ring. I had three and I picked the fattest one. I also used Vaseline on the whole thing the last time. I have a piece of O ring (shaped like a finger nail clipping) somewhere in the motor today, I never found it.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Thats brutal, Guess im going to have to be super careful once I get to this step. Lots of oil and a gentle touch I guess when its time for that :lol:

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Also:
I bought an underdrive balancer just like yours and lost it on the highway a couple months later. I have another one now (same brand) - it has to go on SUPER TIGHT. The shop manual says 40 ft lbs and then 180 degrees or something.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
LS1GN said:
Also:
I bought an underdrive balancer just like yours and lost it on the highway a couple months later. I have another one now (same brand) - it has to go on SUPER TIGHT. The shop manual says 40 ft lbs and then 180 degrees or something.

Gm manual says to seat the balancer using the old bolt by torquing to 240 ft/lbs. Then remove the old bolt and install the new on with an initial pass of 37 ft/lbs then an aditional 140 degrees. the instructions for the balancer say to use those specs aswell. Also says the balancer should be put in an oven or boiling water for 15 minutes prior to install. Ive read blue locktite on the threads of the bolt is a good idea.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
OldBlue82 said:
Gm manual says to seat the balancer using the old bolt by torquing to 240 ft/lbs. Then remove the old bolt and install the new on with an initial pass of 37 ft/lbs then an aditional 140 degrees. the instructions for the balancer say to use those specs aswell. Also says the balancer should be put in an oven or boiling water for 15 minutes prior to install. Ive read blue locktite on the threads of the bolt is a good idea.

yeah, 37 ft/lbs and then 140 degrees sounds right. About 90-100 degrees is all I could physically do alone - I needed a friend that night.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Really sounds like these LS motors have some PITA aspects to them which is surprising since people rave on about how easy they are to work on. Guess mainly more exotc processes than most older style motors have are a bit tricky. I know the oil pan needs to be aligned up with the rear of the block because the trans bolts to the oil pan.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Clone TIE Pilot said:
Really sounds like these LS motors have some PITA aspects to them which is surprising since people rave on about how easy they are to work on. Guess mainly more exotc processes than most older style motors have are a bit tricky. I know the oil pan needs to be aligned up with the rear of the block because the trans bolts to the oil pan.

They are a bit different than the gen 1 sbc for sure. The balancer and the crank sprocket have been the only tricky things so far but not to bad. Otherwise in my opinion its pretty easy to work on and in alot of ways seems built superior to the gen 1 sbc. Both are great engines though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor