Ls swap, 400hp Goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
So I scored a 2014 6.0 iron block with 20k on it. I have the engine top to bottom, no harness or accessories. I have a hook up for the ls1 accessory package I figure Ill use that and an AC relocation kit ive seen. The engine has 283 casting heads from what I understand are pretty much the same as the ls3, l92 head minus the hollow valves. I need a cam regardless because I want to eliminate the vvti. My plan for it will be cruise with the family, 250 mile trips to new york and ofcoarse the occasional fooling around with my buddies. I would like it have decent street manners, a lumpy idle and make at least 400 to the wheels.

The same guy that has the ls1 package says he has the intake,(which i know is different) the harness and ecu from a 2000 ls1 camaro.
Will I be able to make that work or should I go a different route?
I considered going carb for ease of install, just to get the motor in the car and maybe a throttle body fuel injection later? Is that worth it?
Has anybody ever tried it on an LS?
Also what cam would you guys recommend to reach my goals?
Right now the car has a 350 trans and 308 gears. I may leave that for now until I have the funds to build a nice 200r4 and 373 gears. Im open to 6 speed too if it comes my way for the right price at the right time.
So if I install the set up using the LS1 ecu and tune it, Will it need to be retuned if I do a transmission and gear swap?

Ill stop there for now. lol. Not new to cars but new to LS motors.

Thanks and any advise would be helpful as Im working on a list to start gathering what I need to do this most likely in the fall.

79CMC

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Congrats on scoring a 6.0! 400hp should be pretty damn easy with that bad boy, especially if you're going to put in a cam. My thoughts:

-The LS1 intake should bolt up to the 6.0. I'm not familiar with the newer LS engines, but I know the 5.3/5.7/6.0 blocks were all pretty much the same on the outside, so accessories and intakes were swappable. Not sure if your buddy's intake is an LS6 intake, but those are more desirable than the LS1.

-Harness and ECU should work with your engine, as they are all within the same LS family. Your challenge will be mating the LS1 harness with the Gbody stuff. I went with a pre-made kit for my harness.

-Personally, I would just go fuel injected from the jump and not mess with the carb setup, but I'm more new school than old school I guess. Fuel injected to me seems more reliable and fuel efficient.

-Why not throw a 4l60e in the car too? Either way, you will have to tune the ECU whenever you change the trans/gears. A buddy of mine is pretty good with HP tuners, so once I bought the credits for my car, it's relatively easy to have him tune in my changes. Most shops *should* follow the same rules, so if you have a shop tune it, make sure you pick one that you don't mind re-using later on.

-You might want to take a look at oil pan clearance. I think I have a CTS-V pan under mine, but you'll also have to factor in motor mount positioning.

Stoked to see what you do with this 6.0--good luck and keep us updated!

Reactions: 1 user

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
The ls1 intake is a cathedral port and the l92 heads are rectangle port so you will need an LS3 intake. The ls1 harness will probably have to be reworked to be compatible with your engine LS1 are 24x reluctor wheel and yours is a 58x. I would call someone who does harnesses so they can modify the harness to the setup you will be running.

Reluctor wheel info http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php/834483-LS-Timing-Reluctor-Wheels-Explained

Lots of great info here regarding differences between ls engines http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/engine/spotters-guide-to-identifying-factory-ls-intake-manifolds/

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Thanks Guys. I cant wait to get it in there. I want to like leave work and here my wife b******* as to why im home out in the garage. lol

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
A little info I found. So according to the number on the rear of the engine. 12578181 what I have is an LY6 engine. 385hp 400lbs. Sweet. I'm still researching but it seems to be really sought after in the truck world.

79CMC

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Nice! You'll definitely be at 400 rwhp in no time. And good call to V8 Rumble on the ports and intake matching. My LS familiarity sharply declines after 2002.

As far as the wife...I've taught mine that without my time alone in the garage, I'm worse to be around, so it's in everyone's best interest to leave me be. I haven't tasted the arsenic in my eggs yet...

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here a few pics of the victim. Or may baby. Now that I figured out how to post them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 283
Reactions: 1 users

79CMC

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Very clean--paint looks great. I like the blacked out trim--been thinking of doing the same to mine but just don't have the balls yet...

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Hi guys so I found a little bad news or good news depending on how you look at it. I noticed s little miss on my current 350. Didn't think much of it but pulling the plugs revealed cylinder 3 covered in oil. I'm going to put an extension in it for now so I can drive it around for the summer. I can't imagine spending any money on it having the 6.0.
Something I need to know kind of asap and can't find anything is can I make an ls1 ecu work even though there different reluctor wheels and sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor