Ls swap 87 monte project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I didn't actually no in the budget right now down the road I'm going to.what would you recommend ?
If you can find an LQ4 with the "317" heads, that would be the cheapest route. Most yards are reasonable...I pulled the heads for mine at $100/pair. The springs/rockers you have will swap over no problem. Also, the 317 heads should keep the compression the same as they are made for the 6.0L.

Reactions: 1 user

wind-water-fire-earth

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2017
Canada, alberta
If you can find an LQ4 with the "317" heads, that would be the cheapest route. Most yards are reasonable...I pulled the heads for mine at $100/pair. The springs/rockers you have will swap over no problem. Also, the 317 heads should keep the compression the same as they are made for the 6.0L.

Awesome thank you
I actually didn't know that ! How can I tell if they are 317 heads ?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I meant to mention, the 243 or 799 heads are what everybody wants, therefore expect to pay up if you find a good useable set.
People are practically giving away the 317 heads because they want to bump up the compression.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Here ya go man....this is the pass side head. Mine are "862" castings which are for the 4.8/5.3's.
20170723_231105.jpg

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Stupid question, if they are 4.8 and 5.3 will work no problem with a 6.0
You wouldn't want the 862 heads on your 6.0. Would they work....yes. However, the combustion chambers are smaller as well as the intake valves. It would raise the compression, but they wouldn't breathe as good as the 317 heads which came factory on the 6.0L.

Reactions: 1 users

wind-water-fire-earth

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2017
Canada, alberta
You wouldn't want the 862 heads on your 6.0. Would they work....yes. However, the combustion chambers are smaller as well as the intake valves. It would raise the compression, but they wouldn't breathe as good as the 317 heads which came factory on the 6.0L.
Okay I'm picking up what your throwing down thank you. Time to go to pick an pull. Another dumb question a starter from a 4.8,5.3 would work on a on a lq4 ?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Okay I'm picking up what your throwing down thank you. Time to go to pick an pull. Another dumb question a starter from a 4.8,5.3 would work on a on a lq4 ?
It should. I believe the starter is the same on all gen3 LS engines. Best bet is to go to rockauto.com and search for an 02ish escalade, jot down the starter part #, then look at a 02ish suburban, tahoe, silverado, etc and see if the starter is the same.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert in the LS, but I'm neurotic about doing enough quality research before jumping the gun on buying parts. However, there are plenty of guys on here that have done the swap, have first hand experience on what works and what doesn't.

The truck water pumps are hideous in my opinion with the tube sticking damn near straight up. The Camaro LS1 pumps have the water outlet coming straight forward. LS1 style it comes out the pass side of the pulley which makes radiator hose routing a task. Where as the LS3 style pump has the outlet on the driver side of the pulley making it more of a direct route to the radiator. If you use the "standard" GM rad with driver side upper the LS3 style pump seems to be a more logical choice(that's the path I will follow). The LS swap radiators are nice, yet expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor