LS1 vs. LT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Agreed, Roy.
My apologies Kiddcutty, Seems I can't use an EXAMPLE of a race LT1 build showing a common, not overall problem.
Anyway, both of your choices have merit, But it's all about what your using it for. As I stated early in this post, the LT1 is cheaper and the LS1 has more power potential. This seems to be the overall direction of your answers.
Choose well. Kidd.

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
Well I went with the LT1 due to the fact that the doner car cost me $500 all it needed was a head gasket to run and the other the guy decided he wanted 3000gs for his wrecked 02 instead of 1g like he told me so screw that pretty much what I want with the engine is to have enough power to light up the tires and the usual red light races, occasional blast down the 1/4. ive done a lot of swaps but never a tbi or efi engine so to me this is new so ill be asking lots of help to you guys to get it in my car and maybe once its all done ill put the other turbo I have left from my experimental 260 that blew up for some reason hehe

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
also could I hook it up to my th350 transmission and my rear is a 8.5" will that be good it originally had the 7.5" but 1st owner of my car swapped it out im only the 2nd owner. what parts do I need from donor and what else could I take off an use

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Basically, take everything from the donor. Especially the fuel system lines and computer harness. Also search this forum for "LT1/LT4 swap into monte carlo " thread. It has alot of info on what to do and where you can go to get even more info.
T

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
81KiddCutty said:
also could I hook it up to my th350 transmission and my rear is a 8.5" will that be good it originally had the 7.5" but 1st owner of my car swapped it out im only the 2nd owner. what parts do I need from donor and what else could I take off an use

Yes, a TH350 will bolt up to an LT1 engine no problem but it isn't the best choice for a street car. I realize you already have the TH350 but a 2004R would be a better performance choice and you would get better fuel mileage. I helped a buddy swap an LT1 into an 83' G body Cutlass Supreme. He used a 700R4 trans and drive shaft from an 8.5" equipped Olds 442.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I would use the transmission out of the 95 Z28.

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
jetsetw31 said:
Basically, take everything from the donor. Especially the fuel system lines and computer harness. Also search this forum for "LT1/LT4 swap into monte carlo " thread. It has alot of info on what to do and where you can go to get even more info.
T
lets say I am really bad at wiring and don't know what or how to even by seeing can I just put a carb on it instead to make the swap easier with out the wiring

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
Anubis said:
81KiddCutty said:

Yes, a TH350 will bolt up to an LT1 engine no problem but it isn't the best choice for a street car. I realize you already have the TH350 but a 2004R would be a better performance choice and you would get better fuel mileage. I helped a buddy swap an LT1 into an 83' G body Cutlass Supreme. He used a 700R4 trans and drive shaft from an 8.5" equipped Olds 442.

ok thanks and the th350 is basically for now and the 2004r still bolts up without using a kit and what is it a 3 or 4 speed would prefer 3 since my car has factory center console, t shifter

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
81KiddCutty said:
lets say I am really bad at wiring and don't know what or how to even by seeing can I just put a carb on it instead to make the swap easier with out the wiring

I'm not sure if the opti spark can run without the computer. I know that GMPP makes a dual plane for the LT1 but, It never crossed my mind to run a LT1 without FI.

I did find out that all you need is 7 things.
1. GM LT1 Carb intake- Part number 24502592.
2. MSD Bullet Distributor- Remove the oil valley distributer plug.
3. MSD 6AL box
4. Good Ignition Coil
5. Holley 750 Double Pumper, “Don’t **** with the Vacuumed secondary“ Or a Q jet for drivability.
6. Holley Blue Fuel pump
7. And a set of MSD 8.5 wires

You must keep the Lt1 timing cover all you need to do is plug the hole. None of the FI or opti spark wiring is necessary. Wires up like a standard chevy.

Attachments

• lt4carbintake2.jpg
    lt4carbintake2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 535
  • lt4carbintake4.jpg
    lt4carbintake4.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 780

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
jetsetw31 said:
81KiddCutty said:

I'm not sure if the opti spark can run without the computer. I know that GMPP makes a dual plane for the LT1 but, It never crossed my mind to run a LT1 without FI.

I did find out that all you need is 7 things.
1. GM LT1 Carb intake- Part number 24502592.
2. MSD Bullet Distributor- Remove the oil valley distributer plug.
3. MSD 6AL box
4. Good Ignition Coil
5. Holley 750 Double Pumper, “Don’t **** with the Vacuumed secondary“ Or a Q jet for drivability.
6. Holley Blue Fuel pump
7. And a set of MSD 8.5 wires

You must keep the Lt1 timing cover all you need to do is plug the hole. None of the FI or opti spark wiring is necessary. Wires up like a standard chevy.

would this also work for lets say a future LS swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor