ls3 engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

grzsports

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2016
Here is my question. Does any besides BRP make mounts that will clear the lower ac compressor with out making any modifications? Also with a g-force cross member work with the brp mounts if I go that route. Project is a 1987 El Camino putting in a Ls3 engine with a 4L60E transmission. I already bought the corvette accessories drive and really didn't want to spend the additional money on a relocation kit when I had already purchased this one. Thank you.,

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Last edited:

GBODYLS3

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2011
Here is my question. Does any besides BRP make mounts that will clear the lower ac compressor with out making any modifications? Also with a g-force cross member work with the brp mounts if I go that route. Project is a 1987 El Camino putting in a Ls3 engine with a 4L60E transmission. I already bought the corvette accessories drive and really didn't want to spend the additional money on a relocation kit when I had already purchased this one. Thank you.,

I used BRP mounts and a g-force cross member in my 1988 Monte Carlo. I Have the LS3 and a 4L70E trans. I relocated the Compressor up top With a C6 accessory drive. I am going to switch to Holley mounts so the engine will set lower in the car. The BRP mounts moved the engine forward and up and you can't get your pinion angle correct. It seems like a never ending project. If you want to see a list of what i used, go to Super Chevy's web site and look at the article tittled "Meet the 1988 Monte Carlo SS Chevrolet should have Built". They did a Photo shoot on the car at LS Fest 2015.

grzsports

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2016
I used BRP mounts and a g-force cross member in my 1988 Monte Carlo. I Have the LS3 and a 4L70E trans. I relocated the Compressor up top With a C6 accessory drive. I am going to switch to Holley mounts so the engine will set lower in the car. The BRP mounts moved the engine forward and up and you can't get your pinion angle correct. It seems like a never ending project. If you want to see a list of what i used, go to Super Chevy's web site and look at the article tittled "Meet the 1988 Monte Carlo SS Chevrolet should have Built". They did a Photo shoot on the car at LS Fest 2015.

I look up your car looks great. So why would you go with holley clamps rather than let say spohn, dirty dingo etc. You want to sell your mounts. LOL Just trying to figure out the best system with the least amount of modification to be done. Thank you for the reply I guess I have to rethink what I was going to do. Also will your headers work with those holley mounts?

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
I read the article about your Monte the other day and wondered if you were a member. Very nice ride.

GBODYLS3

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2011
I look up your car looks great. So why would you go with holley clamps rather than let say spohn, dirty dingo etc. You want to sell your mounts. LOL Just trying to figure out the best system with the least amount of modification to be done. Thank you for the reply I guess I have to rethink what I was going to do. Also will your headers work with those holley mounts?

The holley mounts set the engine lower and move it back. The BRP mount raises the engine too high. Unless you want to butcher your floor boards, you can't raise the back of the transmission high enough to get the proper pinion angle. With the Holley mounts, you have to buy the conversion oil pan also to clear the cross member. The hedman long tubes won't work with the holley mounts. Hooker makes headers to go with holley set up. I am not familiar with spohn or dirty dingo mounts. I don't know how they position the engine. I know the blue ss that Holley built, the motor sets a lot lower in the frame than mine. When I started buying parts for this build, there wasn't much available for LS conversion parts. Now, you have a lot more choice to pick from. I am going with Holley because I have seen The car and like the way things fit.

grzsports

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2016
The holley mounts set the engine lower and move it back. The BRP mount raises the engine too high. Unless you want to butcher your floor boards, you can't raise the back of the transmission high enough to get the proper pinion angle. With the Holley mounts, you have to buy the conversion oil pan also to clear the cross member. The hedman long tubes won't work with the holley mounts. Hooker makes headers to go with holley set up. I am not familiar with spohn or dirty dingo mounts. I don't know how they position the engine. I know the blue ss that Holley built, the motor sets a lot lower in the frame than mine. When I started buying parts for this build, there wasn't much available for LS conversion parts. Now, you have a lot more choice to pick from. I am going with Holley because I have seen The car and like the way things fit.
Thank you for all your help. Do you think that the g-force crossmember will work with that set up?

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
i may have dodged a bullet here, am about to buy the holley (hooker) mounts and didn't realize i had to change the cross member with it. which ones are best used with the GM muscle car pan and factory trans mount?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
i may have dodged a bullet here, am about to buy the holley (hooker) mounts and didn't realize i had to change the cross member with it. which ones are best used with the GM muscle car pan and factory trans mount?

Guys, read this ---->http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1733542-new-hooker-g-body-ls-swap-system-preview.html

I've never thought much of Holley products (specifically carbs) but hands down they have the best LS swap components for a g body. Why? Because the applications engineers at Holley (Thanks Toddoky) have taken the time to test fit all their products on various G body cars to make sure the system fits. Before the complete Holley system was available there were many pieces and parts available from places like dirty dingo and BRP but they didn't work well together and also created the crappy pinion angle issue noted above. The Holley system is engineered as a system and includes headers that fit correctly, engine mounts, transmission cross members, full exhaust system and many FEAD bracket options to choose from that are cast and look like factory pieces. Competitors use CNC machined plates with spacers..... I went with the complete Holley system for a no hassle no surprise and most of all no cutting and hacking install. Headers also do not hang low like the pace setter F body swap with BRP mounts. Do some reading on LS1tech.com

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor