LSX G-body Swap Write Up

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
One of the overlooked things about swapping in a newer engine into a older car is emissions legality. Basic thing is when you install a newer motor into a older car, the car must now meet the emission standards of the engine's year. So install an 2007 LS into a 87 G body, it now must meet 2007 standards.

I can't find too much about what emission systems LS motors come with but here is what I found. Early LS1s have EGR and smog pumps which you need to keep for a legal swap. Later factory LS motors don't seem to have them. All LS motors have cat converters and a EVAP system that includes purge and vent solenoids and a gas tank pressure sensor you need to install. Carburetor retrofit kits for LS motors are illegal for emission era car swaps like G bodies because they disable the OBD2 emissions system. You also can't delete the rear O2 sensors, got to make them fit to be legal. Last thing is under federal law, G bodies are never exempt from obeying emission laws, regardless of what your state says or how well they enforce such laws or perform inspections. It's your choice and own risk of a $2,500 fine of which way you want to go.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
For the guys that have done the LS swap, and coverted it over to carb. What did you guys use for an inline fuel pump? Where did you end up mounting it, and what did you use for fuel lines up to the motor?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
just did my final mock up of all my parts. after some paint and cleaning it should be going back together.
HEADERS; headman 1 3/4'' coated mid length. HARNESS, P.S.I / with a junk yard flashed pcm for a DBC .THROTTLE BODY,ported , flipped blade by potz speed,MOTOR PLATES, hooker clamshell.FUEL TANK, brand new 86 monte V6 baffled, FUEL PUMP/INSTALL HARNESS, racetronix(255hv/hp lph).still have a few things to sort out ie cooling system, front drive acc. all my pics are on the shop camera but will post some of the during and after .

Attachments

• IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,986
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5,015

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
did have these on phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 5,234
  • IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 5,253
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5,219

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
oh yea , and I painted my new gas tank, more to come!

Attachments

• IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,939

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
THE TRUCK OIL PAN WORKS unless you have an extremely lowered car. I've been running mine for 2+ years and there has been no issues.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
seawolf18 said:
For the guys that have done the LS swap, and coverted it over to carb. What did you guys use for an inline fuel pump? Where did you end up mounting it, and what did you use for fuel lines up to the motor?

I do not carry a spare tire, and relocated my battery to that spot in the trunk. I mounted my Holley Black low, to the steel where the spare tire housing was (I ended up cutting out all of the old spare wheel well and re designing that area). I ran a 1/2 in line up the passenger framerail and threw away all the old fuel line plumbing.

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
LS1GN said:
THE TRUCK OIL PAN WORKS unless you have an extremely lowered car. I've been running mine for 2+ years and there has been no issues.
yes it does fit in, hangs down 2 1/2 '' lower than my frame member. this car is being built to autocross/road race. so need proper oil control, ie most likely a dry sump.

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
L.A.X-RATED said:
axld86 said:
oh yea , and I painted my new gas tank, more to come!
where did you buy your tank? how much?
I bought my tank local using my buddies shop account, but rockauto.com would have been my other choice. I think you could get it under $200.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor