LSx Swap Parts Database

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I would say its safe to assume to adding the tensioner/damper is a good upgrade, expecially for boosted applications.

The tensioner is good for maintaining proper valvetrain events and cam timing (there is a sensor there tracking it for many purposes); the damper is only good for keeping the chain from becoming bungled and whipping itself off and into an early grave. In short: chain stretch bad.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Does anybody have the part# fir the windage tray that comes with the gm pan kit? I have the pan and pickup tube, but no tray. I've spent alot of time trying to locate the correct part#, searched different forums, etc with conflicting results. Any help is appreciated!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well....i ended up answering my own question while on the quest to locate the correct windage tray for the GM LH8 oil pan. After reading many threads on LS1tech, i called the dealer and got the info i needed.

That being said, if anybody doing an LS swap has the hummer pan, but no windage tray, its readily available. I got mine from summit since i was ordering other stuff anyway. Attached is the part #, and the description clearly states the application. Hope this helps guys.
20170504_083234.png

Reactions: 2 users

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
I've been looking for that myself. Good Info! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Has anybody managed to use the Z-bar and fork clutch with the LS swap? I've gotten a quote from "american powertrain" for using TKK or T56 that was wildly expensive and used hydraulic clutch. I've read other users like Streetbu having trouble with their hydraulic clutch equipment (pedal geometry wrong, difficulty bleeding the hydraulics, etc.) - makes me want to investigate the old-school z-bar setup that Texas82GP used with his SBC. I don't have any parts in hand (14037657 bell housing, Lakewood 15020) or know what flexplate, clutch, etc. to use because I'm just starting the investigation.

Does anybody know of a thread where a 4 speed munci or T56 was mated to a Gen3/4/5 LS v8?

I found this Motortrend article stating: "It is possible to build a Z-bar mount for a manual clutch, but it requires a fair amount of fabrication and guesswork. The alternative is to convert to a hydraulic release bearing like the one we picked up from American Powertrain." https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mate-muncie-four-speed-ls-engine/

If I want to make this easy, the way to do it is to stick with the SBC, right? I guess I could be happy with a Holley EFI on a Vortec 350 although I'd honestly prefer to use a junkyard 4.8L since I've done the LS swap before.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
From talking to many that have used different pedals and kits, it seems as though it is a crapshoot as to whether you're good to go, or have issues. :/

Reactions: 2 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Does anybody know of a thread where a 4 speed munci or T56 was mated to a Gen3/4/5 LS v8?
My SS.

The T56 Swap details..

Built it 12+ years ago with a T56 6spd, used factory LS1 Fbody Clutch Hydraulics, built my own Pedal. Speed Bleeder on the Slave Cyl, which is a must.

Aftermarket stuff out there now.

Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm kind of at the same point. I have an '82 Cutlass that I'd like to do an LS swap with a manual transmission, but I don't see any way of using the original style mechanical linkage (short of some fabrication, & trial and error). Most SBC blocks have the threaded boss at the back of the block on the driver's side, where the pivot ball for the Z bar is attached, but nothing like that on the LS block. And, has already been pointed out, hydraulic clutch options can get pricey. A hydraulic clutch does allow more room for exhaust routing on the left side of the engine though.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Here is a parts list to look into..

LS7 Clutch Kit
LS1 Fbody Hydraulics
Speed Bleeder
Pedal Kit, or make your own

SSM Pedal Kit is good, that's a good piece. LS7 Clutch Kit is good to about 500hp in one of these cars. I run a Monster Stage 3 now, I smoked the LS7 Kit..🤣

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor