LT1 Dayco pulley squeal

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Well thanks to Dyrt and all others. I straight edged the pulley and sure enough it needed to be shimmed out, approx 3/16”.
HOWEVER i must have had two noises simultaneously because I thought it was still there quite shortly into a ride. I discovered at 30+ mph, epecially between 30 and 60 i have the squeak. It definitely seems to be up front. I can put the car into neutral and coast and the squeak there, so i know its not motor related. As the car naturally slows the pitch changes. And its not the brakes. When i apply brake it makes no change/does not disappear. I am stumped but its driving me nuts. I am thinking wheel bearings? They are new …

dyrt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2012
Yardville, NJ
Well thanks to Dyrt and all others. I straight edged the pulley and sure enough it needed to be shimmed out, approx 3/16”.
HOWEVER i must have had two noises simultaneously because I thought it was still there quite shortly into a ride. I discovered at 30+ mph, epecially between 30 and 60 i have the squeak. It definitely seems to be up front. I can put the car into neutral and coast and the squeak there, so i know its not motor related. As the car naturally slows the pitch changes. And its not the brakes. When i apply brake it makes no change/does not disappear. I am stumped but its driving me nuts. I am thinking wheel bearings? They are new …
Is it a constant squeak or pulsing? Like does it sound like there is a constant contact with something or does it sound like you are getting a short contact with every revolution? Could be the dust shield on the brakes contacting the rotor.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Is it a constant squeak or pulsing? Like does it sound like there is a constant contact with something or does it sound like you are getting a short contact with every revolution? Could be the dust shield on the brakes contacting the rotor.
Sounds like short contact. I am always careful with the dust shields as i have chased that in the past, but i will take a look

dyrt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2012
Yardville, NJ
Sounds like short contact. I am always careful with the dust shields as i have chased that in the past, but i will take a look
While you're in there, might be a good idea to jack up each front wheel off the ground and spin it and see if you could tell which one is coming from. It could be a stick or something stuck up between the rotor and the spindle or something ridiculous like that.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
While you're in there, might be a good idea to jack up each front wheel off the ground and spin it and see if you could tell which one is coming from. It could be a stick or something stuck up between the rotor and the spindle or something ridiculous like that.
I plan on getting it on stands tonight

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Well no luck. Everyhing looks fine. Pulled calipers, pads. I dont see anything rubbing. I think if it was brakes then the noise would disappear when braking. Wheels spin freely, dust shields are not rubbing. I am stumped.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well no luck. Everyhing looks fine. Pulled calipers, pads. I dont see anything rubbing. I think if it was brakes then the noise would disappear when braking. Wheels spin freely, dust shields are not rubbing. I am stumped.
If it's still on stands, spin the rear wheels by hand and listen.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
If it's still on stands, spin the rear wheels by hand and listen.
Id like to fire it on stands and get it up to ~45 where it makes the noise. But on the road its quiet for about 5-10 minutes before it starts up. I am (almost) positive its not the rear tho. Sounds like front left. I did play with brake pads, bending tangs, etc, to tighten everything up .

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor