LT1 swap update - split loom install

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Cleaning up a little bit. Starting to work on the wiring, deleting all the non essential stuff whatnot.

8FA14CD4-1182-44C3-A66E-B3BD932BA736.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I also made a drain tube for the water pump weep hole. If the pump leaks, this will let the coolant drip out down by the k member. Not only will you be able to detect a leak sooner, it will stay off of the Opti

D4469E1F-D23D-4BA4-838F-D0CB38A0F3B7.jpeg

• Winner
  • Clever
Reactions: 5 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Not ready for the road but making progress....

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 11 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I also made a drain tube for the water pump weep hole. If the pump leaks, this will let the coolant drip out down by the k member. Not only will you be able to detect a leak sooner, it will stay off of the Opti

View attachment 170721

I told myself I was gonna do that to mine, then didn't. Run it to a catch can and you can ignore when the thing takes a dump.

Reactions: 1 users

88 Gutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2020
Ga
I gor my LT1 swap started today also... congrats. What headers did you end up using?

Reactions: 1 user

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I gor my LT1 swap started today also... congrats. What headers did you end up using?
We had bought complete dual exhaust kit from Summit a few years ago. It was for standard SBC which we were running at the time. The long tube headers that came with the kit are fairly decent quality and the primaries are big enough to fully surround the D shaped ports on the LT1 heads. They are on the LT1 engine and have no leaks. We even reused the Percys dead soft aluminum gaskets. We gave them a skim coat of copper RTV exhaust flange sealer. Of course I had o2 bungs welded down near the collectors and I also wrapped them.

88 Gutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2020
Ga
I en
We had bought complete dual exhaust kit from Summit a few years ago. It was for standard SBC which we were running at the time. The long tube headers that came with the kit are fairly decent quality and the primaries are big enough to fully surround the D shaped ports on the LT1 heads. They are on the LT1 engine and have no leaks. We even reused the Percys dead soft aluminum gaskets. We gave them a skim coat of copper RTV exhaust flange sealer. Of course I had o2 bungs welded down near the collectors and I also wrapped them.
I ended up using the Patriot LT, they seemed to be the only ones that would work with factory AC box. The patriots fit really good except the #5 is going to be a pain. I wrapped the drivers side due to them coming really close to the brake lines.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I en

I ended up using the Patriot LT, they seemed to be the only ones that would work with factory AC box. The patriots fit really good except the #5 is going to be a pain. I wrapped the drivers side due to them coming really close to the brake lines.
Hmmm, wrapped one side huh? They say there’s a slight performance gain through faster moving exhaust gasses from extra heat retained in a wrapped header. Hopefully any imbalance from having only one wrapped will be negligible. Thoughts?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Congrats on getting it running!! SOunds like a project and a half.

Motor sounded good.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Hmmm, wrapped one side huh? They say there’s a slight performance gain through faster moving exhaust gasses from extra heat retained in a wrapped header. Hopefully any imbalance from having only one wrapped will be negligible. Thoughts?
I'd wrap the other side similarly

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor