lucas oil treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/displa ... 9&loc=show has anyone used lucas oils.i was thinking about adding it to my transmission.i have a 350 turbo with a manual shift body and a 8 inch convertor.do you guys think it will harm it or help it.just thought i would ask your in put.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 1,036

HeggieGbody

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2010
tennessee
i use it all the time it helps it. my bro has a van that had around 500.000 miles on it. it started a small leak he added some of it and it stop it. i think its great stuff. his van now has around 750.000 miles doesnt leak at all.

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
I'm looking more performance in cooling and improves shifting in a manual transmission.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
... sit tight for a story...

So a few years ago, I was at a parts store and they had a little diagram of gears, sitting in oil. One set had normal oil, the other had lucas additive. The normal oil did not flow and coat the gears as they turned, and the lucas oil did. So I thought "this is cool" and I started using Lucus additive in my motor oil. The whole idea behind Lucas additive is to stablize the molecular bonds in the oil, so it flows at an even viscosity, doesn't tear under heat, and pro-longs life and performance of friction parts.

A couple years later, my brother started noticing frothey oil residue on his filler cap. So he did some investigating and research on the Lucas additive. He found a web article where an engineer did some private testing of the lucas additive. He made his own test transmission and ran lucas at appropriate rpms in the test.

His test revealed, that over a short time, at realistic drivetrain rpms, the lucas additive actually turns the oil into a frothey lather, like hand soup. Yes the additive improves molecular bonds, but it turns the oil thicker, and inturn creates a wipped cream type effect.

... so basically, you're engine is left running on airbubbles of oil.

Now, I searched again and could not come accross this article. And I cannot recall if this guy performed the tests at realistic driveline temperatures. But since seeing this, I have stopped using Lucas additives... just to be safe.

I am already using Ams Oil synthetic motor oil, and I take care of all the fluids. Most high end oils already have lots of goodies to help your driveline run healthy, so I figure I'm okay without Lucas.

now that said, Lucas is heavily used in the NHRA and motor sports industry, so I could just be full of sh*t... But just thought I'd throw it out there.

If I find the link again, I will post it here.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
can't say about the oil additive, but we used it quite a bit in customers transmission when they started to have problems. it almost always worked. the few times it didn't help the trans was completely roasted (and we didn't expect anything--but it had actually worked on some REALLY beat units.)
the cars kept going for thousands of miles with no problems or foaming. FWIW

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
Well here's my $.02, I've just bought a bottle of that trans treatment stuff for $11 :x basicly because i have what i believe to be a leaky trans pump seal, So far i've poured a half bottle in cause i didnt want to overfill the trans but i've seen NO difference. I wasnt expecting a maricle cure, just something to slow it down till winter when i can pull the trans and fix it. The car's only got 28,000 miles on it but from sitting a lot of years it must have dried the seal up. I'll probabally end up pouring the rest of the bottle in but dont expect much out of it. So id say hang on to your $11 and go buy something cool with it

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
lucas treatments are to help fix problems temporarily. since u got a manual vb u shift it manually and shouldnt need lucas shift fix. if ur having problems when shifting it is internal. yes lucas helps sometimes, yes ive used it but nothing is better than a fresh change of fluid for your transmission. no it will not help for performance and cooling. it just thickens the oil. and restores burnt fluid. and as far as the engine additive. yes it helps the oil coat the bearings better. and thickens the oil which will give u better oil pressure. again to help temporarily. nothing better than a fresh change of motor oil. and if u got low oil pressure just bump it up to 20w50. and nhra uses it. BULLCRAP no top fuel racer would ever put that crap in there engine. they have to use a nitro meth or alcohol compatible oil racing oil. usually a 60w or higher.

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
very cool thanks a bunch.no Lucas for me.i just thought it would protect it more,i have no leaks or shifting problems yet anyways.

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
krazykyle said:
very cool thanks a bunch.no Lucas for me.i just thought it would protect it more,i have no leaks or shifting problems yet anyways.
the engine additives work miracles

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor