MAF vs. Speed density

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I eventually want to switch to TPI on my elky. My question is what is the difference between MAF and the speed density. I heard speed density only works with 700R. The MAF looks kinda ugly (but then again I have a hood to hide it all. lol.) also I know the speed density has something to do with the speedometer or something like that. I eventually want some type of forced induction and the MAF wouldn't work. I need the earlier TPI but does it have to be converted to speed density so i can put on a forced induction (TT, projection etc... .). Will it work?! I've seen it but EXACTLY how is it done?

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
the difference between MAF and speed density is
1-maf was from 85-87, speed density was from 88- on
2-you need a chip if you do any modifications to speed density (MAf will compensate up to 12% performance improvement)
3-you can convert MAF to S D if you change the computer and block off the 9th injector
4-if you get a chip burned for SD it will work better than if you just modify a MAF setup
5-removing the screen and cutting the cooling fins down on the MAf unit will improve flow
6- removing the casting blocks behind the throttle body, installing an AEROFOIL in the the throttle body, getting a cold air kit with smooth bellows in place of the factry corrugated hose, and installing and setting up an adjustable fuel bressure regulator will give you a 7 tenths improvement in both MAF and SD setups
7- factory TPI setups were designed for 305 engines, 350's were used from 87 on and the same intake was used hindering top end performance on the bigger cube engine
8- if you want lots of torque and dont plan on going over 6500 rpm a TPI will work for you
9- if you already have a TPI setup you can buy the aftermarket upper, lower, and runners and be able to go up to 7000 and sometimes beyond
10- both setups are usable with 700 trannys
11- SD has nothing to do with the speedo
12- you are better off using SD when going the turbo/supercharger route either way you will still need a chip burnt for it.

hope this stuff helps. :D

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
WOW! that was awesome! thanks you answered all my questions!

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
:cry: i am too poor to do it, so i read alot and help my rich friends with their cars :wink: lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor