Making progress on my 83 wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2009
Been into VW's for ever it seem. I've also had my share of Fords, Chevy, and 1 Dodge. Recently finished my 69 Firebird. Bottom line is I'm just a car junky. But Longroof, while I have your attention, a few years back I bought a SS Monte Carlo speedo cluster with the gauges, tack and clock. I want to swap it out with the warning light set up in the wagon. Been looking for info on the change but can only find info on swapping the long speedo to gauges. Any idea where the info can be found?
Here's a picture of the Firebird.

Attachments

• fb5.jpg
    fb5.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 176
  • fb6.jpg
    fb6.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's a beautiful Firebird. I like the first generation Firebirds. The car also looks good with the 3rd gen. Camaro RS wheels. I still have a set stacked up in my garage.

Btw, you can call me Jack. As for the gauge cluster swap. you can try this for starters.
http://www.maliburacing.com/gauge_conversion.html
I'm sure there's more detailed info out there, but this should get you going.

Last edited:

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Been into VW's for ever it seem. I've also had my share of Fords, Chevy, and 1 Dodge. Recently finished my 69 Firebird. Bottom line is I'm just a car junky. But Longroof, while I have your attention, a few years back I bought a SS Monte Carlo speedo cluster with the gauges, tack and clock. I want to swap it out with the warning light set up in the wagon. Been looking for info on the change but can only find info on swapping the long speedo to gauges. Any idea where the info can be found?
Here's a picture of the Firebird.

Your Firebird looks great!

On the gauge swap you can use the link Jack posted up. In 82 Chevy switched to the round gauges but a warning light cluster was just that...whether it was the round or the long (sweep) style cluster. Don't forget to swap out the sending units for oil pressure and water temp. You may also need to acquire the white wire (location 17 on the cluster connection) and the filter harness for the tach....some cars had the white wire some didn't.

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Kevin,
Thank you for adding the further details. I was getting ready to run out the door this AM, so this was the first link of information that came to mind.
Let me add, a small jewelers screwdriver is instrumental when you need to re-pin the gauge connector.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The wagon looks fantastic. I love the two-tone. The ground effects and wheel/tire package really set the car off with the new paint.

• Agree

abadwillys

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2016
NY
Looks Very Nice! I like the two tone as well and will be doing mine like that, someday
Im not a body man but question: Did you just leave the bumper fillers on and painted them along with everything else?

vwed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2009
Again thanks for all the encouraging comments. I fool with Volkswagen normally but this wagon has such a bitchin ride but is so big I had to two tone it so it wouldn't look like a big white blob or a big brown pile and the synergy green strip to break up the two. I painted the mating surfaces of the fillers off the car and the two front out filler and the rear center were all panted on the car. The rear outers and front centers were all painted off the car along with the outside mirrors. I have to say though, this is meant to be a cool good looking cruiser that my black lab can run around in when we are riding. I'll be the only one in the area for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor