Making Rims wider

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacman469

Master Mechanic
Jul 18, 2008
Bangor,Maine
Anyone have any idea how much it cost to make a rim larger say from 15x7 to a 15x8 and where?Found a set of old school slotted 15x7s i'd like to have cant remember the material...magnesium maybe.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
A buddy had his widened from 15X8 to 15x10.cost him $100.00 for both.
Anyways were from the Rochester, NY area.

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
i have never heard of someone making wheels like that wider, maybe steel but im sure it would be a ton of work to get them balanced, especially for 1"

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
JBreu said:
A buddy had his widened from 15X8 to 15x10.cost him $100.00 for both.
Anyways were from the Rochester, NY area.

Do you happen to know of the name of that place??

I'm thinking it would be cool to get a 15" olds rally wheel in 8 or even 10" wide if it would fit on my cutlass

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Just steel the nags r molded formed cast what ever . when I lived in Maryland were several shops the would widen steel . FIx damaged (even chucks missing ) Straighten about any type wheel

Good luck

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
If they are really Magnesium I doubt you'll find anyone to do it. That stuff is extremely flammable. You have to be careful when you machine it so it doesn't catch fire. Back when I went to Tool and Die school a guy in class filed some off a larger chunk. Took it home set it in the middle of his living room floor in an ash tray and threw a match in it. Damn near burnt his house down!

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/

These guys have been modifying wheels for 30+ years. It's not cheap but would you rather pay good money to have it done right or pay someone to turn your wheels into junk...

True *mag* wheels haven't been made since the mid-late 60's. For the above stated reason, fire.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
I wouldnt waste my money on widening those wheels when there are 15x8 versions out there. I found some on craigslist a month ago. Guy wanted 100 dollars for a set of 15x7 and 15x8 with tires. Save your money and find some actual 15x8 slotted "mags". They are out there, just have to do a little searching for them. Ive also noticed that every swap meet I go to there seems to be at least 4 sets of these wheels for sell, of course most are the aluminum variety. Good luck in your search.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
3XBrown Cutty,
It's Ackerson Racing Wheels........Just google the name and you'll get all their info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor