Malibu wagon astroroof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Yeah, but they weren't that popular in G-bodies....certainly not in wagons.

True, but if I was an Installer, a flat wagon roof is much easier to deal with than a curvy aero Cougar roof.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I have a factory Astroroof in my Cutlass. I've never seen one in a wagon ever, but those photos definetly look like an astroroof. I wonder if someone got ahold of a factory unit and added it later on.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Not factory installed in a wagon

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-25_0-6-58.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I must say, it's pretty convincing, though. Thanks for sharing the pics, Caleb.
Whoever installed the panel did a nice job.

• Agree

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Not factory installed in a wagon
That is a nifty sheet. I've not seen the roof referred to as code CA1 . Must have been earlier nomenclature. I'm more familiar with the mid eighties gbody codes.
Definitely a cool addition even if it isn't factory.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
This may help to determine where it was installed...found it on another forum and also found out the option for the astroroof was more expensive than the t-top option

ASC, the company that produced the GNXs also made the original astroroofs. The most popular AFTERMARKET astroroof you will see is also made by ASC, but was installed at the dealer.The controll button on the dealer installed ASC astroroofs will be black plastic and they will NOT have the removable plastic plug option to insert the auxiliary crank tool.

The dealer installed ASC astroroofs will be approximately two inches shorter in width than the factory-installed astroroof. The other difference is the color of the glass. The factory astroroof has a silver tint to the glass.The dealer- installed ASC version will NOT have this silver tint to the glass.Both ASC versions do include a matching cloth slider that matches the headliner inside the car.

Last edited:
  • Informative

82_wagon

Apprentice
Mar 9, 2017
Dose the top look like this? View attachment 64862 thats the factory roof in my olds

Yes Clutch that is what mine looks like.

I'm not sure where the spid label would be or if your car would have one, but I would look at the glove box and see as many chevy trucks had them there. Look for the three letter code cf5 for a factory moon roof. Either way it is real cool. Ive never seen a gbody wagon with one, factory or aftermarket.

Any on the roof pix?

TexasT i looked in the glove box but there weren't any labels in there.

82_wagon

Apprentice
Mar 9, 2017
This may help to determine where it was installed...found it on another forum and also found out the option for the astroroof was more expensive than the t-top option

ASC, the company that produced the GNXs also made the original astroroofs. The most popular AFTERMARKET astroroof you will see is also made by ASC, but was installed at the dealer.The controll button on the dealer installed ASC astroroofs will be black plastic and they will NOT have the removable plastic plug option to insert the auxiliary crank tool.

The dealer installed ASC astroroofs will be approximately two inches shorter in width than the factory-installed astroroof. The other difference is the color of the glass. The factory astroroof has a silver tint to the glass.The dealer- installed ASC version will NOT have this silver tint to the glass.Both ASC versions do include a matching cloth slider that matches the headliner inside the car.

The control switch in mine is chrome. The astroroof in mine couldn't be any wider because it's already the width of the roof of the car. I just wanted to see if it could have been offered in this car. A couple people that I've talked to have said that they wouldn't have put the "sun roof" (as they called it) in a station wagon but I've never been sure. I saw some old posts and pics on here about the astroroof and noticed that it looked just like what was in my car. I still don't know if it's factory or not but I think I'm going to have to keep it in the car.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'm no expert on sun/moonroofs, but the astroroof as I understand it is a later glass roof panel, whereas the 78 to ?? cars got sliding steel roofs. As far as I can tell, the Malibu series never got the glass roof,and there was no sunroof option for 1981.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor